Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@RoyBoy posted:

I really, really hope they put metal gears on the worm wheel. If they did that, this loco will last for years.

However, I am not overly optimistic. The changes in 2.0 seem to be mostly in software, which is cheap and easy to modify.

Plastic gears would definitely be a deal-breaker for me.  That would be good info to have before pulling the trigger.

I did not get the 2.0 so I could not do a direct comparison with the 1.0, but from what I've read, the major performance and cosmetic issues were resolved. I just happen to check my phone and was able to get a 3.0. It will be interesting to compare side by side. At this price point, I'm not really expecting metal gears, however my 1.0 has about 40 hours on it pulling 5 aluminum cars.

Steve

At this price point, I'm not really expecting metal gears, however my 1.0 has about 40 hours on it pulling 5 aluminum cars.

Steve

My feeling is that the life of the plastic gears is not determined by operating hours or operating load, but by the number of temperature cycles the locomotive goes through in use, or in storage. Since the expansion rates of nylon and steel and different, the gears will eventually crack and slip.

NOTE: I am not talking about the idler gears on the side of the trucks. Since these are slip fit, they will last for many years. The gears of concern are the worm gear on the motor (which I think has been changed) and the worm wheel gear on the driven axle.

Plastic gears that are press fit onto steel axles/armatures are the ones that will fail.

Look at all of the wonderful David O. King models from the 80's that are no longer operational because their plastic gears have split.

Last edited by RoyBoy

I don't claim to be an expert on plastic versus metal gears but all my HO engines have plastic gears on the axles.

True, there is a lot more force on an O gauge engine versus an HO engine but I've been running some of my HO engines for 45 years without any problems.  I'm assuming my plastic gears are hi grade nylon.

It seems like metal gears would wear faster if not properly oiled versus plastic gears.  I just use a light '3 and 1' oil on them.

The worm gear on all my engines are brass.  Also, the combination of the two may work well to prevent 'wearing'.

I think a lot of people view plastic as cheap.

I've 'googled' nylon versus metal gears and find a lot of positives for nylon.

Nylon is also more quieter than metal gears.

It seems like nylon would, also, last longer if not properly lubricated as, I'm guessing, a lot of railroaders don't lubricate their engines as often as they should.

All my engines have this type of gear where the center is brass to prevent any cracking on the axle.

gears nylon,brass 01

These comments should 'stir up' some debate!

Attachments

Images (1)
  • gears nylon,brass 01
Last edited by samparfitt

Nylon gears will fail. Bachmann was using nylon for a long time and gear failure is a problem with their older locos. Many of the better brands, Kato, Atlas, BLI, etc. use engineering plastic that doesn't suffer from the splitting cracking issues like nylon does. I have N scale locos that are over 30 years old with plastic gears that don't have issues. I have a Weaver O gauge loco with a metal gear that did split rendering the truck it is in non-functional, so gears splitting isn't just a concern for plastic gears, though far less likely to happen with metal.

I am going to hold off on the Menard's locos offerings for now. The remote thing is one major thing that makes it a non-starter. The other is the chrome. Makes it look cheap. Maybe when they get through all of the Beta units and get the bugs works out, then I'll look at getting one.

Looks to me like Menards is wanting to get their beta engine offerings right, listening to, and enacting, customer's suggestions with them.
I'd bet that we will see other road names (it's just paint after all), B units, etc in time for next Christmas. I also foresee sets in their future - they already make track and cars. Maybe sets with the great buildings and vehicles they offer included too.
Imagine Dads and their kids seeing displays in their large popular stores for months before Christmas? Very nostalgic and good for the hobby's growth.
Am I buying? Nope. I like post war and Magne-traction too much.
@bmoran4 posted:

Lionel acted upon feedback and the latest two generations of LionChief are able to run with a full conventional feature set.

Current Lionchief R-T-R sets do not have conventional operation built in to them. They can only be run with a remote or Bluetooth app. LC+ & LC2 engines on average cost considerably more than this Menards engine because they have considerably more features.

@Jeff T posted:

Would be nice to have Menards report the differences 1 to 2 and 2 to 3...

Menards asked for user feedback to be sent directly to them. Everyone here will nit pick at this thing until Menards includes every feature found in a Vision Line locomotive and still want it to cost $170.

Last edited by H1000

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.