Skip to main content

Hi everyone. I bought a Lionel 128 news stand today, and it doesn't work right (in spite a TCA member telling me it worked). I can get the wheel that the drive line goes on to go around once with a little persuasion. I made sure the string is on right, but it has popped off twice. While the string was off, I tried to move the rest of the mechanism, and it was free. Any idea what the problem could be?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Here is a picture of the inside (I have the retaining clip off for when I was checking things).

get-attachment

The spring measures about 1 1/2 inches if you include the ends to secure it (so the actual spring itself is about 1 1/4 inches, and it's not sprung looking)

I have discovered that if I give it full with my CW and I give it a nudge, it will slowly go around, stopping in this position. Could the motor need a cleaning? Would that slow it down? How would I go about that?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • get-attachment

Glad you got the motor running.  These older accessories often need a bit of tweaking to get them to operate.  You are on the right track by lubricating his arm but as stated above, these vibro motors have to be played with to determine how much voltage needs to be applied to get them to work properly.

-Pete

IMO, introducing the vibrating motor was one of Lionel's biggest mistakes. It was a big cost saving measure that greatly lowered the quality of newly introduced accessories. The drive strings can break, and the spring often loosens and disables the accessory motion. The spring tension must later be precisely adjusted ( after a period of time) for any motion to occur. My motorized accessories still work like new, the vibrator motored ones not so much. .

Michael,

The next step is to apply 12 volts to the unit. While the motor is operating,  at the end where the spring  is attached to the motor, using a tweesers, gently pull on the spring to give the drive line more tension. Experiment w / both the voltage and tension. You may have to remove and re-attach the line to the spring for more tension to get to operate perfectly.  WD40 or a similar lube will do wonders for the man, dog & line shaft pulley.  Try to use a Silicone type lubricant.  "the old man"

The little paper boy's arm just swings from the turning motion of his movement.

I wanted to create a rod, of some sort, to make the boy's arm raise when he turns to the viewer, but I am no mechanical engineer.

I bet, an engineer at Lionel would have incorporated a device, to cause the lad's arm to raise, at the correct position, but it might have cost too much and it would have probably been a problem for an owner to repair it.

Ralph

Originally Posted by RJL:

The little paper boy's arm just swings from the turning motion of his movement.

I wanted to create a rod, of some sort, to make the boy's arm raise when he turns to the viewer, but I am no mechanical engineer.

I bet, an engineer at Lionel would have incorporated a device, to cause the lad's arm to raise, at the correct position, but it might have cost too much and it would have probably been a problem for an owner to repair it.

Ralph

I believe Lionel accomplished this with the modern-era re-issue done in back in the early 1980s.  I think the catalog # was 6-2308.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes The MPC version has the newsman raise his arm, the postwar does not. As far as the vibrator motor, clean the string with some de-greasing solvent on a paper towel rub back and forth the length of the string. Then on the drive pulley the string goes around, take some heavy grit sandpaper and fold and 'sand' the groove in the pulley to roughen it up to give the string more 'bite' in the nylon pulley. The arm the spring attaches to can be bent slightly to increase tension.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.