Skip to main content

I have been working for the past two months on an extensive renovation project of my layout. Part of this work included retooling the switch yard where I store passenger trains not in service. Since 14 passenger trains present a tremendous power requirement were they all to be on an active track, I needed to come up with a way to power these tracks as wanted and at the same time limiting the power requirements.

Jim Williams (ibew701 on the Forum) based on my design requirements built a rotary dial control system to handle the power issue. You  simply dial the desired track and it becomes active. All others stay inactive. I have a similar system that controls the 21 tracks in my roundhouse area. Incidentally Jim has does work under the name of Dream Layouts. He is a great friend and the system he built is really slick.

There are three components, the rotary controls, the relay board and a 12 volt DC power supply.

c1

c2

Attachments

Images (2)
  • c1
  • c2
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I use AIU's to control relays to turn track power on and off in my passenger yard and engine yard. Each one is controlled independently.

Admittedly, you could turn too many on and flip the circuit breaker, but I haven't done that yet. I need an idiot to visit me to do it.

On the other hand, it's certainly not as visual as what's shown here.

Gerry

Ben:

It is one at a time for tracks 1-7 & one at a time for tracks 8-14. I liked this concept as it has never been a problem for me in the 21 track area where the turntable and roundhouse are located. If you need to power two tracks at the same time within the stated groups, I guess you "punt".

Brian, while I knew that you had a lot of tracks in your passenger terminal, when Jim told me that it was 14 I was surprised. As much current as a long passenger train takes, it's a good idea to make sure that you have it under control. I believe you also told me that they are all pull through sidings? When you are done, you will have an awesome passenger train facility worthy of your fleet of beautiful trains. I too am anxious to see more pictures.

Really nice job!

Art 

Here are two interface boards that I have built to control blocks via an MTH 50-1004 AIU.

The first "Patch Board" makes wiring to the AIU simplified.

The second "Relay Board" takes the signals from the AIU via the "Patch Board" and controls heavy duty 2 -pole relays which turn power to blocks on and off.

The relay board could also be used with toggle switches for manual control if desired.

patch board

RELAY BOARD 1

Attachments

Images (2)
  • patch board: Interfaces with 2 MTH 50-1004 AIUs
  • RELAY BOARD 1: Controls up to 20 individual blocks.

Thanks for your comments Bill. We are almost done with the renovation project and last weekend I was at a point to put the trains back on the layout. That really felt good after having them idle for so long.

We are now working on the train station complex. The 80" train station is installed, the parking lots are done except for striping, the main road is installed & the grass is in, and we planted 25 trees today. Starting to look really good. I have street lights coming, more trees, and four fountains for this area. Then we will be done! Pictures coming as soon as we are finished.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.