Skip to main content

I recently put an early 151 semaphore in service for a second pre war tubular track layout with my MTH equipment, powered by an MTH brick and remote commander.  It works fine when the 153 connector is manually pressed, but when the locomotive is running and activates the signal it shorts the system down after a few seconds.  If operating from a transformer it works fine.  Is that because it's not compatable with a digital system or what?

Last edited by jps32016
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As I said, it buzzes when activated.  Is that normal?  My wiring is fine.  This was an old 072 collection I acquired which is why I can use my big MTH locomotives.  The switches required a lot of cleaning and "surgery" but they all work, along with a signal bridge.  I do have a new model Lionel CP signal which works fine with the enclosed 153 (by "fine" I mean it's like a lot of others described on this website. It starts out green, but once triggered to red and back to yellow it stays yellow).  The old semaphore, no matter if wired with the 153 or insulated rail, will short the power unit down after a few seconds if activated by the locomotive.  If the loco isn't on, the semaphore will activate without shorting, or if it is wired to a separate power source it works OK with the loco.  I'm wondering if some internal problem is jiggling the current enough to trip the breaker.  No big deal.  Don't need it but still a mystery.

Okay thanks.  That's it.  I have two layouts.  One is my old Gargaves layout I donated and built for a nearby museum (pictures at strasburgmuseum.org).  Only open 6 months a year so my 072 layout at home provides some off season fun.  The big layout is powered by a 100 watt MTH brick and DCS.  Accessories and switches are wired to a KW and MRC dual power for various voltages.  So the brick only powers the DCS.  Obviously this pre war stuff with the old lights takes a lot of juice with the locomotives (only one at a time).  So I just brought the brick home for this.  I didn't know the 151 took that much power.  I hooked it up to an old tiny transformer that isn't used for anything else and it works fine with that.

Thanks for the help.  I think I suspected that but now confirmed.  My home layout is actually on my workshop floor, the only available space, winding around power tools and shelves.  No scenery but who cares.  It's only for fun.  So I have my upgraded original layout inside a baggage car, and my "Bantam Book" layout at home!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.