Skip to main content

I was running my 165 magnetic crane on my Christmas layout and it stopped working. When it was working it was quite noisy, so I gave the gears a shot of WD40. Soon after the magnate worked intermittently and then I got no movement at all left,right,up or down.  Electric is getting to the motor, it is just not engaging. Plus the light in the cab burned out. What did I do? and how can I fix it?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

WD-40 is not your friend when it comes to trains.

If it was just your magnet that stopped working, I'd guess that the contact finger for the magnet slipped out of place (common problem) This contact presses against a conductor that runs down the center of the shaft that turns the spool to raise and lower the hook/magnet.

If the motor runs, but the clutches don't engage, the first question is: Why?

Are the solenoids pulling, but the clutches don't move far enough?
Or are the solenoids dead?

If they are pulling, then the problem is likely to be dirt and grime.
If they are both dead, then you probably have a bad ground.
If so, that could effect the magnet too.

These are just guesses, there is nothing like looking at the piece having a problem.

Last edited by C W Burfle

Thanks for the advise. I'm not to sure what I did but I got it to work a few times. I think I will take the four screws out later and remove the motor and solinoids and clean them with a proper cleaner. probably blow it out as well. I think the problem with the magnet was the contact like you mentioned. As long as I hold my finger on it, it works.   The selinoids seem to be functioning as intended but the up down left right movement is still sporadic.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.