Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tring to replace the lighting in this sd80 mac it had none.. When i hooked up the lights i had from a mth board kit they where on fire fast.. I tested the board that the lights plug in to and there defently 14 volts or better ...All the lights and the board that connected to the board are not there .. It has one of those shells that had the springs that connected to the little board on the frame to transfer power to all the cab lights

So if i need a resister to drop the voltage... where do i get that at....

This would be alot easier if they had parts for it.. I could always just wait for the new sd80 mac in the new catalog to come out.  Buy all the lights from it .. The conrail there making is the same shell ...

Faulty math there Rich, for 20ma (assuming you want full brightness), it's 50 ohms per volt of desired drop.  A white LED (3V) running on 18 volts requires a 15 volt drop, which would translate into 750 ohms of resistance.

It's certainly true that you can use more resistance for lower currents.

For 18 volts AC, you can still use the same resistance, however you must also use a diode to limit the reverse voltage to the LED.  Most LED's have a reverse voltage maximum of 5-7 volts.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.