Skip to main content

Recently I purchased a 182 Gantry Crane in great shape.  I have been using it for about a month and it has been working great.  A couple of nights ago the red lamp in the cab went out and then I could not get the magnet to energize.  All of the other functions work perfectly.  Left to right and up and down are very smooth.  I disassembled the unit and found that all connections are good.  I took apart the controller and cleaned all of the contacts and made sure all of the points were making good contact.   I put in a new bulb and it will not illuminate and the magnet still will not energize.  Can anyone help me out here?  I really don't know where I should look next.  Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.    

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by C W Burfle:

It sounds like you have already checked, but here goes:

The power for the light and magnet is transmitted by a rod in the center of the spool/shaft. It is not uncommon for either the contact finger inside the crane cab, or the contact finger on the bottom of the mechanism to slip off.

C W,

You know I checked this thing out very closely when trying to diagnose the problem but as soon as I read your suggestion I knew I had completely overlooked the contact finger which is supposed to make contact with the top of the spool mechanism and it was staring me in the face the entire time.  I can't believe I didn't see it.  No question about it, its always good to get another perspective and that is why the OGR forum is so valuable.  So thanks for your help, its working fine now.  

Also, thanks to you gunrunner.  Your suggestion was next in line. 

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.