Skip to main content

Pulled out my almost untouched 1950 773 to show a friend the other day.   Smoke had died, smoke was sluggish anywary.  I about burned my hand on the rear pickup roller after running it.  73 years I guess it may need a little more than just oiling.

Checking wiring and so on, found the rear roller 2 ohms resistance.  Internal Corrision, oil, who knows?  It was the original with a fairly deep groove.    took off the pickups, cleaned all the oil off of them.   Then replaced the pickup rollers.  I checked them with the ohmeter also, they look good now.

Opened the smoke unit. Original resistor had died.  It was not a flat mica plate, but had what looks like a bakelight piece on top of the flat mica plate.   Haven't seen one like it in any of my other Postwar engines.  All my other postwar engines just had the flat mica plate.   Upgraded to liquid smoke unit.

Original smoke unit

Test ran, the smoke bellows wouldn't come down.   Checked it, someone had oiled it.  It was oil, not smoke fluid.  It just stuck at the top.  Cleaned it and added a smoke unit spring.   

Checked the gear box, not bad, a little shy on grease.  Fixed that.    The Engine, light, e-unit and whistle are still doing well.  All original wiring in the engine except the smoke unit now. Ran it and it puffs pretty O-rings.   Can't hear the motor.  Quietest of all my post war and quieter than my modern engines, except the new can motor diesel.   Just a joy to run again.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • 1950 773
Last edited by VHubbard
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

My 773 is the 1965 version. Very smooth  runner and navigates my 031 curves beautifully for such a big locomotive.

Also, it's geared down so it runs conventionally almost as slow and smooth as an MTH Proto 3 running on DCS.

I consider my 773 to be a mechanical marvel.

From what I understand, the 1950 version is even nicer, especially the tender. Arnold

Wow!  You're right, that's about the quietest 773 I've ever (not) heard!  I would love to know what's going on inside of these mechanical Stradivarii that make some much quieter and smoother-running than others.  @VHubbard was yours ever worked over by Madison Hardware or another well-known repair center?

If they weren't all at least $1000, I would buy about five of them on eBay.  Test them head-to-head, and then perform vivisection on the best one to find out how to improve the others.  The basic design is sound and most of them run well, but a lot noiser than what's being shared here.

Last edited by Ted S

I got the 773 from the long term owner.   I was told it was untouched except proper oiling and it was run, not a shelf queen.   From what I saw this is correct.

I was in manufacturing for over 40 years.   Quality products are a management decision. Be it a rocket or a "toy".  I  worked on a 783 and found many problems.   Where the tolerances on the 783 intentionally made bigger for cost or just sloppy manufacturing from lack of attention or both?  Either way I believe it was a decision from the top to build and ship the product that way.  That is why I like my 1950's era engines, they still run well.  70+ years later.

Last edited by VHubbard
@VHubbard posted:
..was not a flat mica plate, but had what looks like a bakelight piece on top...  Haven't seen one like it...

The 671-225 heating element is ubiquitous in postwar era applications.

@VHubbard posted:

Upgraded to liquid smoke unit.

You may want to re-think that move to what could be considered a downgrade liquid element.  The original 671-225 style and the metal cap are designed and built to last a lot longer and produce better smoke without the need to keep the wicking and element wet, and will work as well with smoke fluids(or pellets at your whim).  As you said, Quality products are a management decision.

@ADCX Rob posted:

The 671-225 heating element is ubiquitous in postwar era applications.

You may want to re-think that move to what could be considered a downgrade liquid element.  The original 671-225 style and the metal cap are designed and built to last a lot longer and produce better smoke without the need to keep the wicking and element wet, and will work as well with smoke fluids(or pellets at your whim).  As you said, Quality products are a management decision.

I have the 671-225 on order.  I kept the original cap.  I didn't have one in my parts supply at the time of the repair.  I do like to keep the 773 as original as possible.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.