Skip to main content

Not sure where to start this so I picked the most used forum. 

I came across something rather unique found in an real old classroom closet.....  A pale green envelope with a two button string tie from the Association of American Railroads in Wash. DC containing fifty seven  8 1/2" X 11" B&W photos.  A student introduction to railroading circa 1950+/-.  Very basic but broad based information.  From a Pennsy diesel shop, mid America ice platforms & cattle yards, hump yards etc. to SP Black Widows and cab-forwards hauling through California.

Anyone remember such a teaching tool? 

I remember how we RR kids would always weave trains into any school project. tt

Last edited by Tom Tee
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Tom,

I never heard, or saw the 'RR' teaching aid, you post of, which sounds interesting, but then again, I always liked trains, real, or model, as a kid and even now.

I'm curious to know, you mention how you RR kids would always weave trains into any school project.

Were you kids, children of RR employees and/or lived near RR trackage?

Also, were you a Boy Scout and involved in the "B.S.A. 'RR' Modeling Badge?"

Thank you,

Ralph

Last edited by RJL

Wow, I just noticed that, all the lettering has been blanked out.  However they left the striping and blanked out heralds intact.  The last page does have a collection of a hundred or so RR logos.  I remember from one of my reports that there were aprox 165 railroads in the mid fifties. 

Being a kid in the fifties every boy was into trains!  W/O exception.  Even if it was a Marx, don't think I knew of a buddy who did not have a train set of some kind.

We grew up, make that older,  got into the hot rods of the 60's and you know the rest of the story..........

Here in the Northeast part of the US, RR employment was a major demographic category.  Part of what is thought to go into the dense involvement of children of the era.

I remember talking to Ed Boyle about OGR circulation data,  Same thing,  Very heavy Northeast concentration.  Trickles down to the location of the majority of train shows.  This it Railroad Territory!   Check out the US maps of RR tracks.

So yes, I could say that we all lived near the tracks.  Not that there was any option.  Tracks were everywhere. 

Did not get involved in the BSA.  One of those things I would want to pursue in a "Do Over".

Michael, the stated purpose on the cover was "Railroad Transportation".  I believe it did a very good job in it's day considering the venue of providing an insight to the uninformed of what goes on in railroad service.

Something like a loose leaf version of a generic coffee table railroad book of recent times.

Originally Posted by CarGuyZM10:

This sounds interesting, but what exactly was this supposed to teach?

In the era when these were used, these taught students about the railroads in wartime America. Each of the photographs pictured how different industries used the railroads. There are photos of Troop Trains. In the day, television was a toy of the very wealthy. There should be a teacher's packet with all the photos. The teacher's packet explained how the material was to be taught. If the OP is lucky, there should be a Teacher's name & signature. 

Last edited by Prewar Pappy

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.