Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by overlandflyer:

and the advantage of a less detailed, heavier tender with a higher center of gravity is... ?

I don't think that at the time that tender was produced anyone was analyzing its advantages or disadvantages.  The Tender was colorful and its die cast composition made it a must have at the time especially since it was a part of the famed Red Train consist.   The fact that it was somewhat top heavy really didn't seem to matter to prospective buyers.

Did Lionel have a more detailed tender on the market in 1981?

Most folks think that die cast metal trains are of higher quality then plastic ones.

Plastic is certainly lighter, more rugged,  and can have more detail cast in, but that doesn't matter.

Being that the engine came with the first modern era die cast metal tender, it was popular with those who collected modern era Lionel.

What came to mind about this tender was its use of the 1950 773 Hudson. In 1981 when someone saw this in the catalog they had to think the release of modern day 773 wasn't far behind.

In 1976 we had the re-release of magna-traction on a steamer, In 1978 we had the release of six wheel truck, In 1980 we had the release of a perfected steam whistle and a boiler front, In 1981 we had the release of the die-cast tender from the 1950 773 Hudson. This ment a new Hudson wasn't far behind.

Originally Posted by nyc5340:

What came to mind about this tender was its use of the 1950 773 Hudson. In 1981 when someone saw this in the catalog they had to think the release of modern day 773 wasn't far behind.

In 1976 we had the re-release of magna-traction on a steamer, In 1978 we had the release of six wheel truck, In 1980 we had the release of a perfected steam whistle and a boiler front, In 1981 we had the release of the die-cast tender from the 1950 773 Hudson. This ment a new Hudson wasn't far behind.

This was not the Hudson tender.  The Hudson tender is much larger.

I'm working from a fading memory here, but this was the "practice run" leading up to the reproduction of the scale Hudson. Lionel was really the only serious player back then. Williams and K-line were just coming on the scene. So when they did this, it was a big deal, and nobody cared about the fact that the detail wasn't perfect or that it was top heavy.

The big deal was not only that it was a "Die Cast" tender, it was that Lionel cast it using the die from the 2235/2245 prewar tender mold. A big big deal for the old boy's at the time. The 2226 die cast tender came back with the 783 Hudson.

I came back into the hobby in 1986 at age 30 and those "Old Boy's" were a great group to talk with and learn from at the TCA meets and train shows.

Thankfully I now have this forum to learn more from. Your all the greatest, thanks...

Arguably the Alton was my favorite set from the MPC era, and the tender was the primary reason.

The tender to me made the Jr. Hudson look more realistic, and in the case of the train it was modeled after, it was more appropriate than a Pennsylvania streamlined tender, and much more bulletproof.

It was a tad disappointing that Lionel didn't use this tender much after the MPC era, and even less when Lionel was manufacturing more trains in China by 1999 before the complete move.

Originally Posted by Grampstrains:
Originally Posted by nyc5340:

This was not the Hudson tender.  The Hudson tender is much larger.

This is the same sized tender for a 1950 773 Hudson I have one I run behind a 1964 Hudson and have a 783, 785, 1990 scale Hudson and the 2005 773 WITH THE LARGE SCALE TENDER.

Bottom line for me is that my Chicago & Alton "red train" looks and runs great every year under the Christmas tree.  It's now resting comfortably on its basement shelf waiting for next year.  A treat each year is the delight in the eyes of our four granddaughters aged four and a half to ten (their month old cousin, another girl, hasn't gotten in the spirit yet) as they watch the train circle endlessly!

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.