Skip to main content

I'm currently working on converting a Lionel ES44ac non-powered diesel to two rail.

My question is: 1. should I use the plastic piece as is shown in the picture OR

2. Will glue work as an insulator?

My reason for using the Lionel axels is, the NWSL axels are too thin and they float inside the axel openings.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • NWSL wheel, Lionel axel, plastic insulator
  • NWSL wheels on Lionel Axels
Last edited by Curtis1983
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Questions from someone not familiar with Lionel, but would like to see your solution(s):

1.  Is the plastic piece in the first photo a slice of tube to act as an insulator between the wheel and axle, or is it a flat piece as a journal box shim ?

2.  What does the second photo show  --  is it NWSL wheelsets pressed onto Lionel axles ?

SZ

glue will probably not work as an insulator.    It would work if it could be spread evenly and cover all places where they might be contact.    However, with a liquid type glue, I don't think that is possible.   I think the wheel would rub some of the glue away when installed, and make contact with the axle.

You might be able to put bushings on the NWSL axles to keep them from floating.    A brass tube would probably work as a bushing.   You might find Oilite bushings in a small enough size at a special hardware store or on line.

You might be able to use a plastic tube to insulate the wheel hub.   Plastruct makes many tubing sizes.

@Curtis1983 posted:

I'm currently working on converting a Lionel ES44ac non-powered diesel to two rail.

My question is: 1. should I use the plastic piece as is shown in the picture OR

Is that piece of plastic (what kind?)  a piece of tubing that fits over the axle and then fits into the wheel?

If so, that might work if you can secure all 3 parts together with some sort of adhesive. That's contingent on this remaining a non-powered engine to some extent as well as the adhesive.

2. Will glue work as an insulator?

Dubious at best.

@Steinzeit posted:

Questions from someone not familiar with Lionel, but would like to see your solution(s):

1.  Is the plastic piece in the first photo a slice of tube to act as an insulator between the wheel and axle, or is it a flat piece as a journal box shim ?

2.  What does the second photo show  --  is it NWSL wheelsets pressed onto Lionel axles ?

SZ

1. The plastic piece is a tube.

2. Yes the NWSL wheels are fitted onto the Lionel axles. I have to glue these in place with heavy glue like Walthers goo.

I have to sand the insulating plastic with my Dremel to make if fit. I've done this with 5 axles already.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Lionel axle with plastic tube insulator

Reply to MWB,

Is that piece of plastic (what kind?)  a piece of tubing that fits over the axle and then fits into the wheel?

If so, that might work if you can secure all 3 parts together with some sort of adhesive. That's contingent on this remaining a non-powered engine to some extent as well as the adhesive.

Unfortunately my Lionel ES44ac will remain non-powered. I don't have the talent to take it to the next level

Attachments

Images (2)
  • NWSL wheel with plastic insulation
  • Lionel axel with plastic insulation
Last edited by Curtis1983
@Curtis1983 posted:

1. The plastic piece is a tube.

2. Yes the NWSL wheels are fitted onto the Lionel axles. I have to glue these in place with heavy glue like Walthers goo.

I have to sand the insulating plastic with my Dremel to make if fit. I've done this with 5 axles already.

Ah, OK.  I did something similar with Atlas wheels on MTH axles many years ago, and had so many problems [ requiring rework ] with concentricity and gauge [ in the sense getting both good at the same time ] that I never did another like that.  Glad it's working out for you.

Did you investigate using either Atlas or MTH 2R wheelsets -- I wonder how their axle dia compares with Lionel's ?

Best regards,

SZ

@Steinzeit posted:

Ah, OK.  I did something similar with Atlas wheels on MTH axles many years ago, and had so many problems [ requiring rework ] with concentricity and gauge [ in the sense getting both good at the same time ] that I never did another like that.  Glad it's working out for you.

Did you investigate using either Atlas or MTH 2R wheelsets -- I wonder how their axle dia compares with Lionel's ?

Best regards,

SZ

The thought of using Atlas crossed my mind but I didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering their wheels/axles.

They may not be available.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.