Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by AGHRMatt:

I went to this link for Atlas 2-rail joiners but these are the ones that are on steroids?

http://www.amhobbiesonline.com...cchk=1&Itemid=62

I'm just trying to find those "fishplate" type of joiners.   Unless those ones at the above link are what I need I just need to make them fit?

Originally Posted by Rail Dawg:

I went to this link for Atlas 2-rail joiners but these are the ones that are on steroids?

I'm just trying to find those "fishplate" type of joiners.   Unless those ones at the above link are what I need I just need to make them fit?

The ones on the link you posted are the 2-rail joiners.

Allan's suggestion about using Lou's joiners is a good one as his are more realistic than the slide-on joiners. You do have more work involved, but they're much more detailed.

Originally Posted by Rail Dawg:

Help me out with this. I realized I got the Atlas Item #6091 joiners which are for the 3-rail track right?

The joiners that came with the track are almost like "fishplates"... very flat and then I have some that are between the fishplates and the big 6091 3-rail ones.

I assume the 2-rail joiners you get from places like AM Hobby are the ones that are the middle ones in size?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

Last edited by Rail Dawg

Hi R Nelson,

ROW's cast nickel silver code 148 rail joiners do slide on nicely however they come on a spru and each needs to be cut off and "dressed" a bit. Both ends of each of the two sections of rail one is joining together also require a little prep work but it really isn't very difficult or time consuming. The first few joints I did took a bit longer but it's pretty easy to get the hang of.

This is the way I dress each end of the rail sections. These are code 125 joiners but the same process applies to the code 148 joiners. I use a dremel with their standard #409 cut off wheel to notch the rail as shown in the following photo.

ROW dressed NS Code 125 slip on rail joiner

I also use the same cut off wheel to remove the joiners from their spru's and to dress them. Each rail joiner needs some material removed from their center top and bottom sections to accept the notched rail shown above. I've found the Dremel works very well for these tasks.

dressed code 125 rail joiner

It takes me around ten minutes or so to dress the respective parts required to join two sections of track together. I think the track joint looks really nice when installed. The following photo is of a nearly completed joint using one of Lou's code 125 joiners and rail.

Atlas Thru Truss bridge P48 conversion w/code 125 rail

Chris is also correct, the ROW code 148 NS joiners will not work well at all with Atlas code 148 rail as it's profile is too thick, however the same joiners do fit ME code 148 rail/flex track very nicely.

John

When using the thin profile first generation code 157 Atlas 0 scale track, Peco's code 143 #SL-710 FB   0 scale rail joiner makes a nice tight connection.  I prep each joiner with a taper dressed piece of rail to start the installation.  

Incidently, the descriptive word Peco uses on their rail joiner packaging is "conductive".  Not exactly an appropriate word for certain other's joiners.

Just to offer a different perspective, I do not/would not solder rail joints. I know several who solder just the curves or every three or four rail lengths, however I find success in a .017" gap at every joint and electrically feed each rail thru an additional spike hole.  To each their own.  No "only one right way" to do most anything.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.