Skip to main content

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a set of the K-Line streamlined passenger cars and 2-railing them and wanted to see what other people had done. Did you modify the K-line trucks or replace them entirely? Did you need to rewire the car? Upgrade to LEDs? Add additional details? Whatever you've done with these cars in 2-rail, I'd like to see it. Heavyweight modelers are certainly welcome to share as well.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I used K-Line 2 rail replacement trucks.  I then used the third rail pick wire to one side and the ground wire to the other.  I replaced the lighting with LED's from Roy's Trains as the incredible number of incandescent bulbs on the originals disrupted DCC signals.  An easy job well worth it.

It is possible to use 2 rail wheels in the original trucks with the lobster claw coupler removed but they don't roll quite as well as the K-Line 2 rail trucks if you can find them (plus you need to add pickups if just changing wheel-sets).

JJ

That is a great thread with lots of pictures.  I mentioned it in that thread but I think it is worth repeating that I used styrene instead of brass to mount the sideframes.  For me, styrene is much easier to shape and drill.   I used the old bolster as a guide for the sideframe screws.  Then drilled the new mounting hole in the center of the styrene.  Good luck!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.