Skip to main content

Santa brought the MTH 4014 Big Boy oil burner.

With new TIUs and Wifi boxes in hand I put it on the track and sounds were garbled with loud static and barely audible correct sounds. 

I returned to MTH for repair.  Either going or coming the package carrier dropped engine on it nose crushing the Styrofoam.  Big engines should only be shipped in 2 layers of the big bubble wrap.

MTH said they replaced the incorrect sound file for the correct sound file and all was just great.  NOT.  I had to run in Conventional first before it would run in DCS.  The whistle is anemic and the soft keys have no effect at all.  While playing with the soft keys it went into static with faint background sounds or random sounds.  There will be no Quillable Whistle out of this engine.

Now what?  When I hit any Soft Key I can hear a click in the tender.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I now will only buy an MTH locomotive from a dealer who will offer a free return in a set amount of days. If the loco does not work properly I will never mess with sending an engine back to the maker.

If I test the loco and it does not do what it should, it goes back to the dealer. I'll never mess with MTH repair on a new loco again.

Ed

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.