Skip to main content

OK. I moved the Christmas Layout board and I finally got some things out, but I will not have a Christmas tree since it went with her.  I put small tracer lights on the Lighthouse.  They show up very well at night.  I pulled out some of my usual Christmas train stuff, AND I dug out my first Train Set I got when I was 10 months old, 65 years ago! It is the Marx set & it still runs.  Merry Christmas to all.

Christmas 2012

Remember my earlier post?!!

Dennis 2010

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Christmas 2012
  • Dennis 2010

Here are some pics and video of my Christmas railroad. This year, I've given it an overhaul (new track, new lighting for the buildings, etc.), and am finally able to give it a more urban and industrialized look. Because the nature of most Christmas village structures (most of my family's is Lemax) sometimes clashes with the look I'm aiming for, I have felt like I have been trying to: "turn Disneyland into Gotham City." (And yes, I specifically purchased the Batmobile from The Animated Series from the 1990's for the village, and eventually the permanent layout.) The dirigible, one of the focal points, is a paper model I found online and is downloadable for free. (Significantly under-scale, but still works.)

Currently, it can only support one train at a time, but I have been able to run all of my equipment several times.  Because a baggage car is my only piece of Polar Express equipment, I treat it as the name of a seasonal mail and parcel service, similar to Railway Express Agency or UPS.

Current fleet:

K-Line Conrail GP38

Lionel Pennsylvania "Starter Set" 4-4-2

Lionel Great Western "Hall" Class 4-6-0

MTH New York Central J3a 4-6-4 (the "official" locomotive being used this year)

2012 Layout 1

2012 Layout 2

2012 Layout 4

2012 Layout 5

2012 Layout 6

2012 Layout 7

2012 Layout 8

2012 Layout 9

2012 Layout 10

2012 Layout 11

Atlantic 4-4-2

GP38

Hall Class 4-6-0

J3a Hudson

Enjoy, and Merry Christmas (and Merry TubaChristmas to any other low brass musicians out there)!

Aaron

Attachments

Images (14)
  • 2012 Layout 1
  • 2012 Layout 2
  • 2012 Layout 4
  • 2012 Layout 5
  • 2012 Layout 6
  • 2012 Layout 7
  • 2012 Layout 8
  • 2012 Layout 9
  • 2012 Layout 10
  • 2012 Layout 11
  • Atlantic 4-4-2
  • GP38
  • Hall Class 4-6-0
  • J3a Hudson
Videos (5)
Conrail GP38-2
Great Western Railway ''Hall'' 4-6-0
New York Central J3a Hudson
New York Central J3a Hudson_Station
Pennsylvania 4-4-2 Atlantic
Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

Our dog Coty is a keen observer of the PE train.

PB292151

This brings back memories of my dog (he was a beagle).  He used to chase and bark at the trains every time I pulled them out, Christmas time or not.  A couple of times he even jumped right into the middle of the layout!!!  Eventually, he got to where he would ignore them--unless we had company.  Then he liked to bark at it when everyone was watching him!

Aaron

Originally Posted by GTW Ralph:

Sam, Your layout and engine look great! What did you use to re-letter the tender?

Ralph & Laura

Thanks Ralph!  I actually cheated with the re-lettering.  I used a label maker with black tape and gold ink.  Properly spaced Times New Roman font was a pretty good match.  I had to really trim the label down for the cab numbering; it just barely fits in the flat area there.  Using the labels for the cab number and tender name blends in well enough for our Christmas layout - very happy with it.

Thanks again,

Sam

Originally Posted by NYC Fan:

Finished putting the layout up Sunday, then took me a couple of days to clean up the mess! But, it's done now. Time for fun!

Christmas Layout 11-28-12 05

Christmas Layout 11-28-12 04

Very nice!  That's more like what I eventually want to do.  I'm guessing the 0-6-0T with the old time coaches on the elevated section is inspired by the old 0-4-4T Forneys that used to serve New York City in the late 19th Century?

Aaron

The Brisbane & Bushong Railroad has a Christmas branch line.  Last year I built a 3' x 5' platform with a RealTrax oval.  In the center is a higher wooden platform with a permanently mounted metal Christmas tree stand.  So we buy our tree without a stand and mount it on the platform.  There is a small Christmas Village, a trestle, a tunnel and a frozen pond for ice skating.  

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR FROM THE ENTIRE STAFF AT THE BRISBANE & BUSHONG RAILROAD.

Our Tree #3-020

Christmas Village Main Street-026

A skater falls on the frozen pond-077

Horses at the barn-086

Deer along the tracks-075

The Train Station #2-088

Polar Express at the Christmas village-067

The Characters from Polar Express-084

Lionel UP Mikado Pulling the Polar Express-051

Rounding Trestle Curve-012

Santa on the Polar Express Observation Car-065

Winter Wonderland-068

Heading for the trestle-059

Pastor Andy and the St Matthews Church Choir-071

Passenger Cars of the Polar Express-039

Attachments

Images (15)
  • Our Tree #3-020
  • Christmas Village Main Street-026
  • A skater falls on the frozen pond-077
  • Horses at the barn-086
  • Deer along the tracks-075
  • The Train Station #2-088
  • Polar Express at the Christmas village-067
  • The Characters from Polar Express-084
  • Lionel UP Mikado Pulling the Polar Express-051
  • Rounding Trestle Curve-012
  • Santa on the Polar Express Observation Car-065
  • Winter Wonderland-068
  • Heading for the trestle-059
  • Pastor Andy and the St Matthews Church Choir-071
  • Passenger Cars of the Polar Express-039

Excellent work, Everyone!  I'm humbled by the quality and ingenuity of your layouts.  I can only hope that, someday, I'll be able to approach your success.  This year is a simple "twice around" inspired by Keith.  Too embarrassed to post pics.  Maybe next year.

Thank you for your pics AND for your stories.  They are both heartwarming at this time of year.

Merry Christmas,

Ron

Originally Posted by FrankfordJunction:

Excellent work, Everyone!  I'm humbled by the quality and ingenuity of your layouts.  I can only hope that, someday, I'll be able to approach your success.  This year is a simple "twice around" inspired by Keith.  Too embarrassed to post pics.  Maybe next year.

Thank you for your pics AND for your stories.  They are both heartwarming at this time of year.

Merry Christmas,

Ron

Ron.  Don't be embarrassed.  It's the joy of it.  Look at what I had left to work with (in my earlier post) & no tree.  It's all OK.

These are some photos of a joint venture between the SD3Railers and the All Gauge Toy Train Assoc. Rady's Children's Hospital requested a Christmas layout for their lobby in the Acute Care Facility that the patients and their families could enjoy. With the relatively short notice and their willingness to be a little bit flexible on their requirements the layout was built and installed on Dec 1st. Although it is realtively simple with two tracks and some operating accessories everything is push button operated.

The last few months I've been working on building a modular layout.  For the Christmas season this year I decided to set it up on the pool table downstairs  (nice solid base), and add some Christmas items.

P1040824

Decided to use the Evolution to pull the K-line 12 days of Christmas set...never could run them on my regular layout - no room for 12 cars on my 12' x 12' layout.

P1040825

A few Beeps, one of them I custom painted (spray can) along with a matching caboose

P1040826

"The reason for the season"

P1040827

Rudolph and the misfit toys!

P1040828

P1040829

And a few Looney Tuners...

P1040830

After the holidays, the layout will become a bit more traditional.  Modules are either 30" x 30" or 30" x 60".  In this configuration I'm using 4 corners and 2 straights, making a 5' x 10' layout.  Additional modules will allow for growth in 5' increments. Very lightweight, SUV-able.

Ed

Attachments

Images (7)
  • P1040824
  • P1040825
  • P1040826
  • P1040827
  • P1040828
  • P1040829
  • P1040830
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)