Skip to main content

Chaffee, MO

http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/RAR1402.pdf

As a result of the collision, damages to signals and signal bungalows were estimated to be
$500,000.

A half million dollars for  2 or 3 signal bungalos and electronics and 2 or 3 signals? Wouldn't it behove the RRs thru the AAR or other group to develop their own signal systems and production using standardized and commercial equipment where practical. Seems like these items should only cost about 1/10th that amount. I wonder what highway traffic lights cost?

Automatic whistling in your sleep resets  the Alertor.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Wyhog, I don't have any HARD numbers, or sources to cite, but I remember reading in the past about the cost to install traffic signals at an intersection, costing something north of $250,000, each intersection will vary a bit, but that is the number that I recall.

Unfortunately, our Dept. of Trans. is planning on installing a *&#@% Round-about at the intersection of Thatcher/Verboort RDs and HWY 47. This intersection is stop for Thatcher RD(west of Hwy 47) and Verboort RD (east of Hwy 47) with just a flashing Yellow caution for hwy 47. Entirely too many accidents, simply because people are too impatient, and take STUPID chances crossing/pulling onto Hwy 47. Good unobstructed lines of sight, just POOR judgment being used all too often.

Unfortunately, it is NOT just at Grade Crossings, that drivers do STUPID things.

Doug

In the city just north of us there is a debate going on about too much train noise (even though the rail roads and tracks were there LONG before the houses were built). I have been sort of following the debates off and on. I copied this is from a recent public report in December 2014 on estimated costs to add signaling to some crossings to make a 'Quiet Zone'. Parts were deleted to shorten it up to just the costs for some of the crossings in the report.

Clip.......

No Train Horns (Silence Train Horns at Both Crossings)

1. Quiet Zone

 Installation of new signals and equipment at each public crossing at an estimated $275,000-$300,000 each per BNSF

 The installation of any new signals and equipment will require the relocation of existing equipment that currently convey information to train engineers that is located closest to 7315 Martindale at an estimated cost of $500,000 per BNSF

End Clip......

I would imagine there is a lot more to this than we are considering, like incorporating it into the existing system and other connections that might be needed for a fully functioning system that works with all the other stuff they already have in place. Probably has to be tied in some how with the PTC systems that are being installed as well.

Our O gauge trains are expensive to purchase and create a layout with, the big boys make purchasing our stuff look a whole LOT better!

Last edited by rtr12
Originally Posted by Wyhog:

I just don't understand the costs of such things. How much could a sheetmetal sheathed particleboard 12x12 building cost. An aluminum pole (pipe) should not be much (my 10" aluminum irrigation pipes are cheap). Cast aluminum light housing made by the 10's of thousands can't be too expensive to make. And what is wrong with using highway traffic lights for RRs. I can see a traffic light 2 miles away and at far wider angles than the RR signals. As for the logic a $35 Raspberry Pi can handle the most complex interlocking logic. Use 3 of them for redundancy and cross checking each other (Wow, a whole $105 for all three).  The only specialized equipment needed are the track circuit detectors. It seems to me that the actual equipment is waaaay over priced and the RRs are paying and repaying for the design. They could get rid of that recurring charge by having an AAR standard design.

I was a locomotive engineer for 41 years and I am a private pilot.

As an aside, another thing I don't understand is airport runway incursions.  Most are the result of pilots "getting lost" or misunderstanding/forgetting the tower's instructions. I could stop those incursions almost overnight. I have never understood why airports use those silly labeled signs instead of go/no-go lights. Put red/green highway traffic lights on the ground at runway/runway intersections and runway/taxiway intersections. The ground controller would flip switches or use a computer to set up a path for the airplane to follow. It would all be interlocked like a RR interlocking or CTC so conflicting movements could not both get green signals. Simple, easy to install, and it SHOULD be cheap. End of most runway incursions.

Hello. I am a retired Chief Air Traffic Controller. I spent 25 years in radar control facilities and air traffic control towers in New York City. A typical taxi instruction at JFK could involve as many as six or seven elements to get to or from the active runway. Couple this with dealing with  many taxiing aircraft at the same time and the idea that a ground controller could possibly operate a system such as you describe is not realistic.

Believe me when I tell you that stopping errant aircraft and vehicles from entering active runways without permission is a difficult problem to solve. No lack of effort has been spared by the FAA and the air traffic system users in trying to come up with new equipment ( i.e. microwave ground radar) and procedures.

Last edited by pilotony

I do not have any material to post on this, but, in the late 1940's, Union Switch and Signal did some preliminary work on developing a fixed signal system for airports that would have governed use of runways and taxiways by signal indication, in a manner similar to CTC governing the movements of trains.  There was no interest, and it died on the vine.  There may be some old records of this on some airliner or FAA website.

Wyhog, the only thing I can think of that makes railroad signals so expensive is the exposure to tort liability and the elaborate interaction of track circuits (all installed, tested, and maintained manually).  Everything has to work as intended every time in any weather, and be tamper-proof and protected from lightening damage.  A highway traffic signal controls one intersection and is usually not linked to adjacent intersections, does not detect occupancy or the integrity of the road between signals, and usually only detects approaching vehicles by a non-fail safe system such as movement detectors.  The only thing that has to be fail-safe on a traffic signal is that it must not allow two interesting routes to proceed at the same time.  Railroad signals are usually linked to: two or more adjacent blocks in each direction; all the turnouts and some derails within their track circuits; some road crossing warning devices; and they require batteries, commercial power, and a lot of digging.  Whenever we did any track project, the signal cost was usually more than half the total cost.  And the Signal Department would not negotiate the price at all.

Somebody told me that, when the Milwaukee Road built the new Milwaukee, Wisconsin, station in the 1960's, they used Eagle highway traffic lights at the depot.  Perhaps a Forumite can confirm or deny this and also tell us whether they were used as actual block signals or merely as switch indicators?

Last edited by Number 90

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.