Skip to main content

I've been wanting to share this with all of you. Below are photo's of five ceramic pieces that my Mom had hand painted probably 35 years ago. I still am amazed at the detail she put into her work. Unfortunately, we lost Mom four years ago. About a year after her death, I was admiring Christmas pictures posted by many of you, and was inspired.

Merry Christmas to all of you, and thanks, Mom.

Attachments

Images (5)
Last edited by Sidewinder
Originally Posted by Sidewinder:

I've been wanting to share this with all of you. Below are photo's of five ceramic pieces that my Mom had hand painted probably 35 years ago. I still am amazed at the detail she put into her work. Unfortunately, we lost Mom four years ago. About a year after her death, I was admiring Christmas pictures posted by many of you, and was inspired.

Simply wonderful.  Thanks for sharing.

Sidewinder,

They are indeed very well done.  Anyone can buy pre-done buildings, but these are irreplaceable treasures.  I also think the colored lights underneath the snow is very fitting for the whimsical nature of these buildings.  Thanks for sharing with us.  Sharing stories like these is what makes this forum a true family.

Last edited by towdog
Originally Posted by Charlie Howard:

Well the upper level, North Pole, was more or less finished for Thanksgiving. Everyone liked it, so here is a few shots. It still lacks 1 building and some elves that are packed with the Christmas ornaments (I hope).

DSCF5546

Charlie,

Wow.  Yours is one of my favorites so far.  SO much fun and wonder and playfulness.  Kids would go nuts over this.  My favorite part is the mountains.  They are so perfect with the Rudolph figurines.  That kind of look is straight out of the movie.  Normally I prefer Christmas layouts to be in the dark to enjoy the lights, but I like yours in the bright light as you have it to really make all the colors pop.  Great job. 

Originally Posted by towdog:

Well the upper level, North Pole, was more or less finished for Thanksgiving. Everyone liked it, so here is a few shots. It still lacks 1 building and some elves that are packed with the Christmas ornaments (I hope).

DSCF5546

Charlie,

Wow.  Yours is one of my favorites so far.  SO much fun and wonder and playfulness.  Kids would go nuts over this.  My favorite part is the mountains.  They are so perfect with the Rudolph figurines.  That kind of look is straight out of the movie.  Normally I prefer Christmas layouts to be in the dark to enjoy the lights, but I like yours in the bright light as you have it to really make all the colors pop.  Great job. 

Well that is in the dark. I just can't figure out how to get pictures to come out more as the eye see's it. I'll keep playing with different setting on my camera, maybe by Christmas I'll get it..............

Last edited by Charlie Howard

These are very nice houses created by your mom.  As Towdog said, anyone can buy pre-done buildings, like all of mine on my layout, but things created by family are very precious and bring back many memories during the holidays especially when those loved ones have passed way.  I have one tree (seen in the photo below) that is on my layout for the past few years that belonged to my Grandmother who passed away many years ago.  I remember she used to put this tree out every year.  She did not make it and I added some lights on it,  but reminds me of the precious person who she was.    Thanks for sharing your photos. 

20141203_224357

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20141203_224357
Originally Posted by towdog:

Charlie,

Well that is in the dark. I just can't figure out how to get pictures to come out more as the eye see's it. I'll keep playing with different setting on my camera, maybe by Christmas I'll get it..............

Charlie, I agree with Tow Dog that is an amazing likeness to the Movie.

As far as overriding the light meter in your camera that may be a little difficult. I think on my digital snap and shoot camera the only setting that prevents the light meter from filling the shot with light is the "macro" setting. I believe it's the one I absolutely have to use a tripod with and the shutter will remain open for as long as you hold the button down.

Those are great little houses and make your Christmas so much more than just a tree and lights. They make a great North Pole Village unlike any other.

Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

Charlie, this is just stunning work. Very nicely done. If this doesn't put you in the spirit of the season, nothing will. 

DSCF5570

Thanks for the kind words. And to all the others thanks, for your kind words and likes. I tend to go overboard. I might not get to do this again so I wanted it to be memorable. I hope the lower level and my modified D27 come out as well. Hope to have those ready at least a week before Christmas. I also liked your setup as well. I wish it was setup so you could like the original post and not just the replys. Yours is very nicely done as well.

Passenger train Collector,

1st let me say everybody's Christmas Train Layouts this year are just fantastic, sorry I did not start building earlier myself, thanks for starting this thread!

Well we finally had some time to start constructing the 2014 Christmas train layout, things are starting to come together and the 2nd level train track & 3rd level street car line went in late last night, with the roll away power station, DCS & Legacy included in the nights work.  All equipment has been tested and works perfectly, I especially like the Lionel FasTrack Command Control switches on every level, controlled from the Legacy Cab2, Great technical control engineering from low voltage track power.

PCRR/Dave

Roll away power station with Z4K/ZW & Legacy/ DCS Controls.

New Legacy 990 and DCS remote control up-grade UB645 Battery Charger,
having the DCS remote control upgraded to a fully rechargeable unit has been a fantastic addition to the DCS hand held remote control, my buddy Bill Ingraham here on the OGR forum did this for me, and the fully rechargeable DCS hand held remote control works like a million bucks, MTH needs to engineer this up-grade into their DCS Package, ASAP!

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad
Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

I was showing my wife the pics from this thread. When I showed your pics. She like it and wanted to know if I was going to do the same thing.  In a way it is yes as my layout is a winter theme anyway and once the tree comes down there will be a lake in that location until next Christmas.  I have been enjoying this thread from the start. I do have one question. How large is your train room? 

Thanks

Doug

Originally Posted by Savage:

Here is my simple Rankin Bass inspired oval layout. It's still a work in progress. I am working on a Misfit Island, another Winter Warlock scene, and I need to add the Miser brothers.IMAG0493

IMAG0494

IMAG0497

IMAG0498

IMAG0500

IMAG0501

IMAG0502

IMAG0503

IMAG0504

IMAG0505

I am so glad that someone else remembers the Rankin/Bass series of Christmas shorts. I always looked forward to watching these along with Charlie brown. Don't get me wrong, I like PE but this is what I grew up with. 

Doug

OK, Wife and Daughter don't like the train under the tree, It Limits the amount of gifts they can pile there.

My layout is in my Den. I expanded a bit while converting to the Christmas theme.

Up on 17" lift, drop in a Sheet of 1/2" Ply and lay out the Quilt batting.

Extended the layout into the shelves for more open floor space this year.

Passing siding in town parks the new 10th Anniversary Polar Express and the Challenger pulls several Christmas theme boxcars and a Norman Rockwell Caboose

That is my Grand daughter in the corner.Christmas Layout

Last edited by Russell

Matthew B,

I needed something with a little weight to her that looked nice, so that I could put some fair size wheels on, to roll on the plush carpet.  Yep it has three nice size storage compartments for the White Lightening, Famous Grouse, & Jack Daniels, after all it's the Christmas season. 

Russell,

Cute picture of your Granddaughter with the train layout!

PCRR/Dave

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad
Originally Posted by wmtrainnut09:

Alex, that tree looks like at least an 8 footer or more and beautifully decorated (Dina did that, right?)  Is she making those delicious chocolate chip cookies for the holidays?  Oh, that train is so cute.

Hi Johnny,

Yep the tree is a 9 footer, and yes Dina is baking a ton of different cookies for Christmas

Here's a sample

IMG_0692

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0692
Last edited by Alex M

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.