Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A couple of us from the club cobbled together a 6' x 10' table last night at my office and laid two loops of Fastrack. We hastily put down some 'snow' batten and fluffed it up a bit.

This morning at work I added some braces to the table, tacked on the skirting,  and placed the trains for static display.

We're scrounging around for a suitable transformer and will add the festive buildings and lights for the weekend.  Here's a couple of shots of the beginning.

IMG_1537

IMG_1539

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_1537
  • IMG_1539
Last edited by c.sam
That is correct...
The sleigh and reindeer are Department 56 North Pole Series #56.56111 "Sleigh & Eight Tiny Reindeer.  Issued in 1990 (retired).  The elves and reindeer are a multi-unit set from Department 56 North Pole Series #56.56436 "Reindeer Training Camp" from 1998 (retired).

All of the buildings, trees, vehicles, people, and accessories are from Department 56 (North Pole, Christmas in the City, Dickens Village, and Peanuts) that we have collected over the years.

Thanks for looking.

I believe the reindeer, sleigh, and Santa are from Department 56.

4 right

"The sleigh and reindeer are Department 56 North Pole Series #56.56111 "Sleigh & Eight Tiny Reindeer.  Issued in 1990 (retired).  The elves and reindeer are a multi-unit set from Department 56 North Pole Series #56.56436 "Reindeer Training Camp" from 1998 (retired).

All of the buildings, trees, vehicles, people, and accessories are from Department 56 (North Pole, Christmas in the City, Dickens Village, and Peanuts) that we have collected over the years."

We have a lot in common.
Originally Posted by dmestan:

Bryan, what did you use for the texture on your mountain backdrop? 

Don, the mountains are just white Styrofoam 2x8 sheets carved up with hot wire tools and dollar store razor knives. Then various flower spray paints from a craft store.  Flower paint doesn't melt the foam.  The base and hills in the other pictures are done the same way.  Bryan

Originally Posted by c.sam:

A couple of us from the club cobbled together a 6' x 10' table last night at my office and laid two loops of Fastrack. We hastily put down some 'snow' batten and fluffed it up a bit.

This morning at work I added some braces to the table, tacked on the skirting,  and placed the trains for static display.

We're scrounging around for a suitable transformer and will add the festive buildings and lights for the weekend.  Here's a couple of shots of the beginning.

IMG_1537

IMG_1539

That looks like a nice little town there Sam!

Originally Posted by SantaFeJim:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner:

DSC_0013

DSC_0016

Best of the season to all. 

Bryan

Bryan -  These pictures remind me of Bedford Falls.  I half expected to see Jimmy Stewart running down the street.

Jim - Thanks for the idea. I'll have to look for a Jimmy Stewart figure.  That would make a nice little vignette.

Last edited by RidgeRunner

The North Pole is very busy today. They don't really know or care about Black Friday, they have Christmas Gifts to make for good boys and girls (lots of train items). You have to agree, they have beautiful surroundings to work in. Click on the photo to enlarge it and to see all of the details. 

vehicles 098

Attachments

Images (1)
  • vehicles 098
Last edited by Former Member

Real Estate Layout UPDATE

She's up and running fine now and people are stopping to watch, many stepping inside to talk.

Yesterday I spoke with two families from other areas who were here to ride the Polar Express in nearby Bryson City on the Great Smoky Mountain RR Excursion Train.

My wife put together the nice Creche a few years ago. A club member constructed the tent revival behind it using popsicle sticks for benches.

IMG_1541

IMG_1544

IMG_1547

IMG_1550

IMG_1552

IMG_1546

Attachments

Images (7)
  • IMG_1540
  • IMG_1541
  • IMG_1544
  • IMG_1547
  • IMG_1550
  • IMG_1552
  • IMG_1546
Last edited by c.sam
Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

Nick, your son is really growing up quickly. Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Hi Brian,

He is 6 now, where does the time go?

Congrats on the TM Video of your layout. I'll look out for that one.

Merry Christmas to you and Elizabeth.

Nick & Family

Just a simple O-36 loop this year. Here's my 10 yr old (left) showing his friend for the first time.  His friend has never seen a train "like that" before.  Lionel 6-30024 Union Pacific Fast Freight Ready to Run set Santa brought him Christmas 2010.  Even my 8 yr old Daughter (right) and her friend found it fascinating.....so did the cat who naturally knocked the caboose off the track as it went by the first time.

IMG_20141130_162125_717

IMG_20141130_162144_653

IMG_20141130_162242_799

IMG_20141130_162714_210

Attachments

Images (4)
  • IMG_20141130_162125_717
  • IMG_20141130_162144_653
  • IMG_20141130_162242_799
  • IMG_20141130_162714_210
Last edited by WITZ 41

Brian

I appreciate you posting this thread every year.  This is one of my favorite threads that I look forward to seeing every year! 

Nice layouts and photo’s everyone!!!

Every year my layout is different from previous years.  As some of you know, my layout for this year will be on video, Toy Train Revue Part 4 along with Brian’s and Mr. Muffin’s layouts.  I have already taken many pictures this year’s layout since my layout has been up for a month!  The photo’s below are some close up pictures of scenes around my layout.    

My layout is a Southern country village along with a Snoopy theme.  The other night my daughter and I were discussing how nice it would be to shrink down and become a “little person”…to be apart of my peaceful and quaint village!  There no cars in my village, only horse drawn sleds and wagons, as I have it represent the simpler days of life of the past.    Ken 

Christmas1

Christmas2

Christmas7

Christmas8

Christmas9

Christmas11

Christmas10

Christmas13

Christmas14

Christmas15

Christmas4

Attachments

Images (11)
  • Christmas1
  • Christmas2
  • Christmas7
  • Christmas8
  • Christmas9
  • Christmas11
  • Christmas10
  • Christmas13
  • Christmas14
  • Christmas15
  • Christmas4
Originally Posted by kjstrains:

Brian

I appreciate you posting this thread every year.  This is one of my favorite threads that I look forward to seeing every year! 

Nice layouts and photo’s everyone!!!

Every year my layout is different from previous years.  As some of you know, my layout for this year will be on video, Toy Train Revue Part 4 along with Brian’s and Mr. Muffin’s layouts.  I have already taken many pictures this year’s layout since my layout has been up for a month!  The photo’s below are some close up pictures of scenes around my layout.    

My layout is a Southern country village along with a Snoopy theme.  The other night my daughter and I were discussing how nice it would be to shrink down and become a “little person”…to be apart of my peaceful and quaint village!  There no cars in my village, only horse drawn sleds and wagons, as I have it represent the simpler days of life of the past.    Ken 

Christmas11

Ken there's always something new to see on your Christmas layout. It's one of my longtime favorites.

Me thinks some one in the Village is wishing for a different time.

I don't belong to the club but the Washington, Virginia, Maryland Garden Railway Society has a beautiful display at Brookside Gardens in Wheaton Regional Park in Wheaton Maryland. 

IMG_1534

IMG_1535

IMG_1536

IMG_1537

IMG_1538

IMG_1539

IMG_1540

IMG_1541

IMG_1542

IMG_1543

IMG_1544

IMG_1545

IMG_1546

IMG_1547

IMG_1548

IMG_1549

IMG_1550

IMG_1551

IMG_1552

IMG_1553

IMG_1554

IMG_1555

IMG_1556

IMG_1557

IMG_1558

IMG_1559

IMG_1560

IMG_1561

The National Capital Trackers, which I belong to, will be at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore during Christmas week. See our website for details on all of our holiday events. 

DSCN0021

IMG_0729

IMG_0730

In 2 weeks, the National Capital Trackers will also spend a week at the College Park Aviation Museum, the oldest continuously operating airport in the world. 

IMG_0676

IMG_0677

IMG_0678

IMG_0679

IMG_0704

Attachments

Images (36)
  • IMG_1534
  • IMG_1535
  • IMG_1536
  • IMG_1537
  • IMG_1538
  • IMG_1539
  • IMG_1540
  • IMG_1541
  • IMG_1542
  • IMG_1543
  • IMG_1544
  • IMG_1545
  • IMG_1546
  • IMG_1547
  • IMG_1548
  • IMG_1549
  • IMG_1550
  • IMG_1551
  • IMG_1552
  • IMG_1553
  • IMG_1554
  • IMG_1555
  • IMG_1556
  • IMG_1557
  • IMG_1558
  • IMG_1559
  • IMG_1560
  • IMG_1561
  • DSCN0021
  • IMG_0729
  • IMG_0730
  • IMG_0676
  • IMG_0677
  • IMG_0678
  • IMG_0679
  • IMG_0704
Originally Posted by cmscanuck:

Our small Christmas display combining two of my favorites, trains and Lego's!

When I first read, where you wrote, "...small", the size had not occurred to me because your whole layout is so charming and delightful, esp. considering that red train (!WOW!)

Even the whimsy of the Star Wars walking machine somehow fits the playful mood. All of it is fun to see!

FrankM

Last edited by Moonson
Originally Posted by Matthew B.:

Ken there's always something new to see on your Christmas layout. It's one of my longtime favorites.

Me thinks some one in the Village is wishing for a different time.

Matthew

Thanks.  I wanted to throw in at least one picture that added some humor!!  Old Frosty is not very happy in that scene while Fighto is doing his job! 

I enjoy seeing your photos and videos too.  I love the pictures with the Caribou!  Nicely done. 

Ken

Well it's not a train, but it is Christmas, and what's Christmas without the Griswold's?

It's been 25 years since the movie came out....man where did the time go?   

We've had this replica Advent Calendar on order for 2 years, and finally got it last month. It's completely scratch built with a few personalized custom touches by the builder.

On December 1st, you light the house. Then open the door for the next 24 days before Christmas. I had to build the base tonight so we could light the house.

20141020_135316

20141020_135345

20141201_211911

20141201_212032

Our last name on the mailbox with the house number for 2014. Yes the waiting list is that long.

2014-10-20 13.56.25

Plaque on the back and I had a quote from the movie put on there with the name changed of course.

20141020_133831

Of course the Hallmark Christmas Vacation ornaments along with a few others.

20141201_212004

20141201_212014

Attachments

Images (8)
  • 20141020_135316
  • 20141020_135345
  • 20141201_211911
  • 20141201_212032
  • 2014-10-20 13.56.25
  • 20141020_133831
  • 20141201_212004
  • 20141201_212014
Last edited by Former Member
Originally Posted by Laidoffsick:

Well it's not a train, but it is Christmas, and what's Christmas without the Griswold's?

We've had this replica Advent Calendar on order for 2 years, and finally got it last month. It's completely scratch built with a few personalized custom touches by the builder.

On December 1st, you light the house. Then open the door for the next 24 days before Christmas. I had to build the base tonight so we could light the house.

Our last name on the mailbox with the house number for 2014. Yes the waiting list is that long.

Plaque on the back and I had a quote from the movie put on there with the name changed of course.

20141020_133831

Of course the Hallmark Christmas Vacation ornaments along with a few others.

This is what Christmas photo albums are about, Sharing Family Traditions new and old. Sure this is a train forum, but I don't see anything wrong with throwing in a few of the reasons we celebrate the Christmas Season and Family has got to be one of the best reasons. Thanks

Here's a tradition I hope keeps going for many years to come. Our Milwaukee Special normally would be running on the top loop of our display. It still smokes, the Mighty Sound of Steam still wails over all other sound sets, the e-unit works flawlessly. Unfortunately there's no top loop for it to operate on this year. Not to worry though it has it's own dedicated table in the middle of the living room.

MScoffeeTable

Attachments

Images (1)
  • MScoffeeTable
Originally Posted by Laidoffsick:

20141020_135316

20141020_135345

20141201_211911

20141201_212032

2014-10-20 13.56.25

20141020_133831

Now that's an advent calendar.

Another Christmas tradition in our family is that the Nativity is always set up before any other decorations. Ma has been collecting the Willow Tree nativity figures available at Hallmark Stores. This year she wanted the Manger for the set. But me being the cheap SOB that I am; refused to fork out the $120 for something I could put together on my own for less than $20 with better options. So that's what I did....

Nativity

And to keep it Train related it makes a great backdrop for Cheesy Valley and the Milwaukee Special...

MSNativity

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Nativity
  • MSNativity

I've been wanting to share this with all of you. Below are photo's of five ceramic pieces that my Mom had hand painted probably 35 years ago. I still am amazed at the detail she put into her work. Unfortunately, we lost Mom four years ago. About a year after her death, I was admiring Christmas pictures posted by many of you, and was inspired.

Merry Christmas to all of you, and thanks, Mom.

Attachments

Images (5)
Last edited by Sidewinder
Originally Posted by Sidewinder:

I've been wanting to share this with all of you. Below are photo's of five ceramic pieces that my Mom had hand painted probably 35 years ago. I still am amazed at the detail she put into her work. Unfortunately, we lost Mom four years ago. About a year after her death, I was admiring Christmas pictures posted by many of you, and was inspired.

Simply wonderful.  Thanks for sharing.

Sidewinder,

They are indeed very well done.  Anyone can buy pre-done buildings, but these are irreplaceable treasures.  I also think the colored lights underneath the snow is very fitting for the whimsical nature of these buildings.  Thanks for sharing with us.  Sharing stories like these is what makes this forum a true family.

Last edited by towdog
Originally Posted by Charlie Howard:

Well the upper level, North Pole, was more or less finished for Thanksgiving. Everyone liked it, so here is a few shots. It still lacks 1 building and some elves that are packed with the Christmas ornaments (I hope).

DSCF5546

Charlie,

Wow.  Yours is one of my favorites so far.  SO much fun and wonder and playfulness.  Kids would go nuts over this.  My favorite part is the mountains.  They are so perfect with the Rudolph figurines.  That kind of look is straight out of the movie.  Normally I prefer Christmas layouts to be in the dark to enjoy the lights, but I like yours in the bright light as you have it to really make all the colors pop.  Great job. 

Originally Posted by towdog:

Well the upper level, North Pole, was more or less finished for Thanksgiving. Everyone liked it, so here is a few shots. It still lacks 1 building and some elves that are packed with the Christmas ornaments (I hope).

DSCF5546

Charlie,

Wow.  Yours is one of my favorites so far.  SO much fun and wonder and playfulness.  Kids would go nuts over this.  My favorite part is the mountains.  They are so perfect with the Rudolph figurines.  That kind of look is straight out of the movie.  Normally I prefer Christmas layouts to be in the dark to enjoy the lights, but I like yours in the bright light as you have it to really make all the colors pop.  Great job. 

Well that is in the dark. I just can't figure out how to get pictures to come out more as the eye see's it. I'll keep playing with different setting on my camera, maybe by Christmas I'll get it..............

Last edited by Charlie Howard

These are very nice houses created by your mom.  As Towdog said, anyone can buy pre-done buildings, like all of mine on my layout, but things created by family are very precious and bring back many memories during the holidays especially when those loved ones have passed way.  I have one tree (seen in the photo below) that is on my layout for the past few years that belonged to my Grandmother who passed away many years ago.  I remember she used to put this tree out every year.  She did not make it and I added some lights on it,  but reminds me of the precious person who she was.    Thanks for sharing your photos. 

20141203_224357

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 20141203_224357

Charlie,

Well that is in the dark. I just can't figure out how to get pictures to come out more as the eye see's it. I'll keep playing with different setting on my camera, maybe by Christmas I'll get it..............

Charlie, I agree with Tow Dog that is an amazing likeness to the Movie.

As far as overriding the light meter in your camera that may be a little difficult. I think on my digital snap and shoot camera the only setting that prevents the light meter from filling the shot with light is the "macro" setting. I believe it's the one I absolutely have to use a tripod with and the shutter will remain open for as long as you hold the button down.

Those are great little houses and make your Christmas so much more than just a tree and lights. They make a great North Pole Village unlike any other.

Charlie, this is just stunning work. Very nicely done. If this doesn't put you in the spirit of the season, nothing will. 

DSCF5570

Thanks for the kind words. And to all the others thanks, for your kind words and likes. I tend to go overboard. I might not get to do this again so I wanted it to be memorable. I hope the lower level and my modified D27 come out as well. Hope to have those ready at least a week before Christmas. I also liked your setup as well. I wish it was setup so you could like the original post and not just the replys. Yours is very nicely done as well.

Passenger train Collector,

1st let me say everybody's Christmas Train Layouts this year are just fantastic, sorry I did not start building earlier myself, thanks for starting this thread!

Well we finally had some time to start constructing the 2014 Christmas train layout, things are starting to come together and the 2nd level train track & 3rd level street car line went in late last night, with the roll away power station, DCS & Legacy included in the nights work.  All equipment has been tested and works perfectly, I especially like the Lionel FasTrack Command Control switches on every level, controlled from the Legacy Cab2, Great technical control engineering from low voltage track power.

PCRR/Dave

Roll away power station with Z4K/ZW & Legacy/ DCS Controls.

New Legacy 990 and DCS remote control up-grade UB645 Battery Charger,
having the DCS remote control upgraded to a fully rechargeable unit has been a fantastic addition to the DCS hand held remote control, my buddy Bill Ingraham here on the OGR forum did this for me, and the fully rechargeable DCS hand held remote control works like a million bucks, MTH needs to engineer this up-grade into their DCS Package, ASAP!

Last edited by Pine Creek Railroad

I was showing my wife the pics from this thread. When I showed your pics. She like it and wanted to know if I was going to do the same thing.  In a way it is yes as my layout is a winter theme anyway and once the tree comes down there will be a lake in that location until next Christmas.  I have been enjoying this thread from the start. I do have one question. How large is your train room? 

Thanks

Doug

Originally Posted by Savage:

Here is my simple Rankin Bass inspired oval layout. It's still a work in progress. I am working on a Misfit Island, another Winter Warlock scene, and I need to add the Miser brothers.IMAG0493

IMAG0494

IMAG0497

IMAG0498

IMAG0500

IMAG0501

IMAG0502

IMAG0503

IMAG0504

IMAG0505

I am so glad that someone else remembers the Rankin/Bass series of Christmas shorts. I always looked forward to watching these along with Charlie brown. Don't get me wrong, I like PE but this is what I grew up with. 

Doug

OK, Wife and Daughter don't like the train under the tree, It Limits the amount of gifts they can pile there.

My layout is in my Den. I expanded a bit while converting to the Christmas theme.

Up on 17" lift, drop in a Sheet of 1/2" Ply and lay out the Quilt batting.

Extended the layout into the shelves for more open floor space this year.

Passing siding in town parks the new 10th Anniversary Polar Express and the Challenger pulls several Christmas theme boxcars and a Norman Rockwell Caboose

That is my Grand daughter in the corner.Christmas Layout

Last edited by Russell

Matthew B,

I needed something with a little weight to her that looked nice, so that I could put some fair size wheels on, to roll on the plush carpet.  Yep it has three nice size storage compartments for the White Lightening, Famous Grouse, & Jack Daniels, after all it's the Christmas season. 

Russell,

Cute picture of your Granddaughter with the train layout!

PCRR/Dave

Originally Posted by wmtrainnut09:

Alex, that tree looks like at least an 8 footer or more and beautifully decorated (Dina did that, right?)  Is she making those delicious chocolate chip cookies for the holidays?  Oh, that train is so cute.

Hi Johnny,

Yep the tree is a 9 footer, and yes Dina is baking a ton of different cookies for Christmas

Here's a sample

IMG_0692

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0692
Last edited by Alex M

DSC_0005

Bryan

What did you use for the mountain lighting?  It really adds a lot of depth and interest.  I like how the light highlights the texture on the mountains, really making it come alive and look like snow.  Very creative.

Thanks.  I attached a 8 ft. blue LED rope light strand to a 1 1/2 strip of wood which acts as a spacer between the mountains.  The light creates the glow.  After spray painting the mountains, I sprinkled micro glitter in the paint which helps accent the snow appearance.  - Bryan

Last edited by RidgeRunner

DSC_0005

Bryan

What did you use for the mountain lighting?  It really adds a lot of depth and interest.  I like how the light highlights the texture on the mountains, really making it come alive and look like snow.  Very creative.

Thanks.  I attached a 8 ft. blue LED rope light strand to a 1 1/2 strip of wood which acts as a spacer between the mountains.  The light creates the glow.  After spray painting the mountains, I sprinkling micro glitter in the paint which helps accent the snow appearance.  - Bryan

Great job, figuring out those small touches really helps you get the most out of the illumination.

Doug, 40 ft. by 38 ft. The benchwork is 36 ft. by 23 ft. that gives plenty of walk-around room.

Thanks.  I measured it out to give my wife an perspective in relation to our house. When I said I would have knock down a wall. She said don't get any Ideas. I wonder what I said that would that she would say that? 

Doug

This picture is simply not a fair way to start the day. I want them NOW. Please have Dina send a care package ASAP. I will pay for shipping.   Also please tell Dina I love your Christmas Tree.

IMG_0692

Good Morning. This is so unfair to look at.  I gained 10lbs  looking at it.  When do we eat? 

Originally Posted by Alex M:
Originally Posted by wmtrainnut09:

Alex, that tree looks like at least an 8 footer or more and beautifully decorated (Dina did that, right?)  Is she making those delicious chocolate chip cookies for the holidays?  Oh, that train is so cute.

Hi Johnny,

Yep the tree is a 9 footer, and yes Dina is baking a ton of different cookies for Christmas

Here's a sample

IMG_0692

Alex - I don't know which is my bigger weakness, trains or cookies?  It looks like we are both truly blessed to have wives that not only support us in so many ways, but are also great cooks and bakers.  You are making me hungry, I have to leave and see what that wonderful aroma is coming from the kitchen.  Merry Christmas.

Art

Alex- that plate of cookies not only looks yummy, but brings back memories. When I was a kid, we used to go to my Grandma's in early December to make ravioli one day, then fig cookies and cannoli another. I'm happy to say the ravioli tradition continues; we made about 300 last Sunday.

I agree with Art; those of us who have wives that make the time to bake/cook each year are indeed fortunate. The effort completes the season.

Originally Posted by Savage:  LOL!   I see that the Bumble Snowmonster still likes to decorate Christmas Trees after 50 years. He is getting better & better all of the time......LOL!

Here is my simple Rankin Bass inspired oval layout. It's still a work in progress. I am working on a Misfit Island, another Winter Warlock scene, and I need to add the Miser brothers.IMAG0493

IMAG0494

IMAG0497

IMAG0498

IMAG0500

IMAG0501

IMAG0502

IMAG0503

IMAG0504

IMAG0505

THought I show 1 pic from last year and that would explain paint spots on the wall, of 2014

set up.  The tape on the poster pulled the paint plumb off of the wall, so the 2014 is not fixed and looks like we are paint testing.   Our son wanted a simple plan this year, and my hip was all to willing to oblige him.    NEXT YEAR IS GONNA BE A WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT,

since I now have new metal body parts.

100_0778

100_1208

100_1209

100_1210

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 100_0778
  • 100_1208
  • 100_1209
  • 100_1210

Very nice to help a friend out, Jim, That is what Christmas is all about. Good for you.

Terry, glad to see your post. Those who are not aware of it, my friend Terry just had hip replacement surgery and is a little limited for a few weeks. He is recovering very well. If it were not for this Forum, I would never have had the opportunity to know a really great guy.

Originally Posted by Chris Lonero:
Originally Posted by NYC Fan:

Now that's what I call a Layout!!!

Thanks Skip. I just put 5 pounds on looking at it!

Yeah I saw this and went to the grocery store and bought cookie dough and the sprinkles and such. Not nearly as nice but I'm gonna have cookies even if I have to bake them....................

Pine Creek , Isn't that where Bing and Danny chased after the Haines Sisters from Florida . Oh I sorry that was Pine Tree Vt. Although I still can't figure out How they could ride the Chief from Florida to NYC, then SP from NYC to Vermont. 

Originally Posted by Pine Creek Railroad:

Gentlemen,

Although I was not raised in the Rankin Bass era, I still think the stuff is fantastic and makes a great kids layout, course some kids are bigger than others, including me.

My era is Fred & Bing in Holiday INN, singing on the train!  Snow Snow  Snow!

PCRR/Dave

I always look forward to returning to this forum this time each year.  Such wonderful Christmas displays with the trains.  Since this is the one time of year where the trains come out in our home, we tend to go all out.  Almost complete, here are a couple early shots of the Polar Express running through the Christmas Story village...

IMG_20141205_204017[1]

IMG_20141205_204211[1]

IMG_20141205_204247[1]

Thanks,

Sam

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_20141205_204017[1]
  • IMG_20141205_204211[1]
  • IMG_20141205_204247[1]

Originally Posted by Dtrainmaster:

From a couple of years ago. Corner of the room, 0-90 curves.

Christmas Corner

Video of same in the dark (not the best quality), with PW Santa Fe passenger set.

Dave

Dave,

I've always loved the lighting effects of the Rotary Beacons and your display is a great example of how they allow you to do more with less.

Originally Posted by SamM:

I always look forward to returning to this forum this time each year.  Such wonderful Christmas displays with the trains.  Since this is the one time of year where the trains come out in our home, we tend to go all out.  Almost complete, here are a couple early shots of the Polar Express running through the Christmas Story village...

IMG_20141205_204017[1]

IMG_20141205_204211[1]

IMG_20141205_204247[1]

Thanks,

Sam

Great shots Sam, A lot of us look forward to your Christmas presentations. Thanks for participating again.

Thanks all!  I was really pleased with the pictures - taken with my cell phone in the dark last night - with only the lights from the Christmas tree, trains, and village.

PTC - really appreciate you starting this thread again this year.  I've thought about submitting photos to Allan in the past, just always forget once the holidays are past. 

Originally Posted by Dtrainmaster:
Sam, what did you use for snow? That's the most I've seen on those cars.
Dave - the snow on the PE passenger cars is just some fluffy white fabric that I cut to size and glued on several years ago.  It's held up very well, though it definitely photographs better than what it looks like live!

Looking forward to seeing more photos in this thread over the next few weeks - Merry Christmas to all!

-Sam
Originally Posted by rail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...amp;feature=youtu.be

I guess my video was too long to post directly to the forum, so here's the youtube link.

I wasn't able to fit all 39 cars, so I did 3 of each year. The quality isn't that good, but I can't set my tripod low enough to the ground for a nice track side shot.

Don

Here's your video Don, Great little Christmas Village you created around a beautiful tree.

Posted all my pictures so after this video I get to sit back and enjoy what everyone else has created for their family and friends.

Thanks for this thread Brian, it's always been my favorite and the one I look most forward too through out the year.

Really, really nice.  I remember you starting this back in the summer and remember thinking how early it was to even be thinking about Christmas.  But look at what you were able to create because of all of that time.  I really like the inclusion of the rotating color spotlight.  It really makes the entire thing pop.  And thanks for giving the forum a head's up on that light.  I got a couple for future projects.

Lastly, great music choice.  You cannot beat the classics when it comes to Christmas music.  Thanks for sharing.  Just outstanding.

Originally Posted by eddiem:

Here's a look at our family room layout....

P1010263

This year it only took 5 minutes to set it all up!

Ed

There is something about this that I really like.  It's very clean and well executed.  So simple, yet still has so much interest.  And 5 minutes sounds pretty nice compared to the hours it takes me to set up mine.  Great job.

Originally Posted by suzukovich:

I know I posted pics earlier but here is my 4th attempt at a video. Don't laugh too hard......

Good job Doug, wish I could fill up a room like that, gives you a lot of opportunities for whimsical Christmas fun and you've taken full advantage of it. Thanks for sharing and have a great Christmas.

Originally Posted by eddiem:

Here's a look at our family room layout....

This year it only took 5 minutes to set it all up!

Ed

Good job Ed, y'all work fast and still get amazing results. A word of caution though; I don't know if you noticed. But while it only took you five minutes to set up, it looks like the burglars across the street only took about three minutes to clean out your neighbors house.

Originally Posted by Sleeper:

I just finally got a handle on my 2014 Christmas train display and there is still a lot making fine adjustments that I want to make.

Magnificent Johnny! Love the multi-level display with a full size tree over looking the water front. Great example of how to get a full size high rail layout into a small space. I'm sure it will bring y'all a lot of enjoyment for the Christmas Season.

I appreciate your compliments TowDog. Sharing what we enjoy here on the forum is about the best way I know of spreading our happiness to others so more can get the most enjoyment out of the hobby and extend that to their family and friends.

I try to keep busy throughout the year with creative projects. This years Christmas display started back in August and included a dozen or so small projects. 92 year old Ma and quite a few of the seasoned neighbors were watching the creation of each small project. None of them saw the full display as I was sharing it here on the forum. Watching the individual pieces being created kept them entertained and engaged with anticipation waiting to see how everything would come together.

I'm not sure, but I think maybe being open and inviting to input during the long process of building our Christmas display, helps our older family members and friends feel included and significant. And maybe even offers a sense of accomplishment when they see the final results.

Posted all my pictures so after this video I get to sit back and enjoy what everyone else has created for their family and friends.

Thanks for this thread Brian, it's always been my favorite and the one I look most forward too through out the year.

Really, really nice.  I remember you starting this back in the summer and remember thinking how early it was to even be thinking about Christmas.  But look at what you were able to create because of all of that time.  I really like the inclusion of the rotating color spotlight.  It really makes the entire thing pop.  And thanks for giving the forum a head's up on that light.  I got a couple for future projects.

Lastly, great music choice.  You cannot beat the classics when it comes to Christmas music.  Thanks for sharing.  Just outstanding.

Originally Posted by TGP:

Mario,

How do you do your streets !????????????????????????????

thanks

Terry

For the actual street, I used roll up vinyl road, from Walthers I believe.

For the snow banks, I use "Sno-Tex" (I got mine at Hobby Lobby), and spray it all down with a clear flat, then while its still wet I sprinkle Woodland Scenics snow...

I lightly spray over everything with spray glitter (Guess where? Hobby Lobby).  Be careful not to get too close; it comes out fast.

Finally, the last step is to dribble Woodland Scenics "Realistic Water" (Again, Hobby Lobby) along the curb to look like puddles.

Thanks,

- Mario

Originally Posted by c.sam:

A favorite automobile - '55 Chrysler

The closely related '55 Imperial was another beauty seldom seen even back then!

IMG_1682

Dad had a black '56 Imperial. He opened a letter from President Kennedy one day, and him and Mom drove out to Fort Carson,Colorado for a couple years for service with the 5th Division. The Air Force has a base close by, and their PX was better than the Army's, so they did their shopping their. The Air Force brass was using Black Chryslers for their staff cars at the time, so whenever Dad would pull up to the gate, the APs would snap to thinking it was Air Force brass and not seeing it was just an Army PFC.

Passenger Train Collector,
   Well the Pine Creek Rail Road Christmas layout is starting to take shape, maybe one more siding on the 2nd level to complete and we can start placing the Christmas village.  Everyone's Christmas layouts are looking fantastic, Johnny & Eddie your FasTrack Christmas layouts are just great!
PCRR/Dave

I absolutely love the bear in the tree. I'm trying talk my wife into doing the same, but I guess I first need a bear.

Passenger Train Collector,
   Well the Pine Creek Rail Road Christmas layout is starting to take shape, maybe one more siding on the 2nd level to complete and we can start placing the Christmas village.  Everyone's Christmas layouts are looking fantastic, Johnny & Eddie your FasTrack Christmas layouts are just great!
PCRR/Dave

fantastic! That 2810 makes the 2660 look like an HO crane!

Steamer,

Dave as you know, the Crane Cars are my favorite piece of rolling stock,

I am now actively looking for another 810 to restore, after seeing Steve's fantastic Crane restoration work, with his custom colors to high light the entire Crane Car, I got to restore an 810.  Then I am going to due do the same matching colors on a restored 2660 Mini Crane car to run with it.   I also need another 2660 for the 264 Baby Ruth Tin Plate you see on the 2nd Level, that old 264 has to have a 2660 Crane Car to go with it, I am thinking about restoring one in Gray to match the old Lionel engine & tender.

PCRR/Dave

Originally Posted by CentralFan1976:
Originally Posted by TGP:

Mario,

How do you do your streets !????????????????????????????

thanks

Terry

For the actual street, I used roll up vinyl road, from Walthers I believe.

For the snow banks, I use "Sno-Tex" (I got mine at Hobby Lobby), and spray it all down with a clear flat, then while its still wet I sprinkle Woodland Scenics snow...

I lightly spray over everything with spray glitter (Guess where? Hobby Lobby).  Be careful not to get too close; it comes out fast.

Finally, the last step is to dribble Woodland Scenics "Realistic Water" (Again, Hobby Lobby) along the curb to look like puddles.

Thanks,

- Mario

Mario,

Super photos!  thanks for the short 'how-to'!

Originally Posted by SamM:

IMG_20141205_204017[1]

IMG_20141205_204211[1]

IMG_20141205_204247[1]

Thanks,

Sam

Super, Sam!

The snow is as thick as in the movie, and the boy sitting with the hobo at his fire is the best I've seen.  The town is great too!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.