Skip to main content

Originally Posted by towdog:
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner:

DSC_0005

Best of the season to all. 

Bryan

What did you use for the mountain lighting?  It really adds a lot of depth and interest.  I like how the light highlights the texture on the mountains, really making it come alive and look like snow.  Very creative.

Thanks.  I attached a 8 ft. blue LED rope light strand to a 1 1/2 strip of wood which acts as a spacer between the mountains.  The light creates the glow.  After spray painting the mountains, I sprinkled micro glitter in the paint which helps accent the snow appearance.  - Bryan

Last edited by RidgeRunner
Originally Posted by RidgeRunner:

DSC_0005

Best of the season to all. 

Bryan

What did you use for the mountain lighting?  It really adds a lot of depth and interest.  I like how the light highlights the texture on the mountains, really making it come alive and look like snow.  Very creative.

Thanks.  I attached a 8 ft. blue LED rope light strand to a 1 1/2 strip of wood which acts as a spacer between the mountains.  The light creates the glow.  After spray painting the mountains, I sprinkling micro glitter in the paint which helps accent the snow appearance.  - Bryan

Great job, figuring out those small touches really helps you get the most out of the illumination.

Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

Doug, 40 ft. by 38 ft. The benchwork is 36 ft. by 23 ft. that gives plenty of walk-around room.

Thanks.  I measured it out to give my wife an perspective in relation to our house. When I said I would have knock down a wall. She said don't get any Ideas. I wonder what I said that would that she would say that? 

Doug

Originally Posted by Passenger Train Collector:

This picture is simply not a fair way to start the day. I want them NOW. Please have Dina send a care package ASAP. I will pay for shipping.   Also please tell Dina I love your Christmas Tree.

IMG_0692

Good Morning. This is so unfair to look at.  I gained 10lbs  looking at it.  When do we eat? 

Originally Posted by Alex M:
Originally Posted by wmtrainnut09:

Alex, that tree looks like at least an 8 footer or more and beautifully decorated (Dina did that, right?)  Is she making those delicious chocolate chip cookies for the holidays?  Oh, that train is so cute.

Hi Johnny,

Yep the tree is a 9 footer, and yes Dina is baking a ton of different cookies for Christmas

Here's a sample

IMG_0692

Alex - I don't know which is my bigger weakness, trains or cookies?  It looks like we are both truly blessed to have wives that not only support us in so many ways, but are also great cooks and bakers.  You are making me hungry, I have to leave and see what that wonderful aroma is coming from the kitchen.  Merry Christmas.

Art

Alex- that plate of cookies not only looks yummy, but brings back memories. When I was a kid, we used to go to my Grandma's in early December to make ravioli one day, then fig cookies and cannoli another. I'm happy to say the ravioli tradition continues; we made about 300 last Sunday.

I agree with Art; those of us who have wives that make the time to bake/cook each year are indeed fortunate. The effort completes the season.

Originally Posted by Savage:  LOL!   I see that the Bumble Snowmonster still likes to decorate Christmas Trees after 50 years. He is getting better & better all of the time......LOL!

Here is my simple Rankin Bass inspired oval layout. It's still a work in progress. I am working on a Misfit Island, another Winter Warlock scene, and I need to add the Miser brothers.IMAG0493

IMAG0494

IMAG0497

IMAG0498

IMAG0500

IMAG0501

IMAG0502

IMAG0503

IMAG0504

IMAG0505

THought I show 1 pic from last year and that would explain paint spots on the wall, of 2014

set up.  The tape on the poster pulled the paint plumb off of the wall, so the 2014 is not fixed and looks like we are paint testing.   Our son wanted a simple plan this year, and my hip was all to willing to oblige him.    NEXT YEAR IS GONNA BE A WHOLE LOT DIFFERENT,

since I now have new metal body parts.

100_0778

100_1208

100_1209

100_1210

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 100_0778
  • 100_1208
  • 100_1209
  • 100_1210

Very nice to help a friend out, Jim, That is what Christmas is all about. Good for you.

Terry, glad to see your post. Those who are not aware of it, my friend Terry just had hip replacement surgery and is a little limited for a few weeks. He is recovering very well. If it were not for this Forum, I would never have had the opportunity to know a really great guy.

Originally Posted by Chris Lonero:
Originally Posted by NYC Fan:

Now that's what I call a Layout!!!

Thanks Skip. I just put 5 pounds on looking at it!

Yeah I saw this and went to the grocery store and bought cookie dough and the sprinkles and such. Not nearly as nice but I'm gonna have cookies even if I have to bake them....................

Pine Creek , Isn't that where Bing and Danny chased after the Haines Sisters from Florida . Oh I sorry that was Pine Tree Vt. Although I still can't figure out How they could ride the Chief from Florida to NYC, then SP from NYC to Vermont. 

Originally Posted by Pine Creek Railroad:

Gentlemen,

Although I was not raised in the Rankin Bass era, I still think the stuff is fantastic and makes a great kids layout, course some kids are bigger than others, including me.

My era is Fred & Bing in Holiday INN, singing on the train!  Snow Snow  Snow!

PCRR/Dave

I always look forward to returning to this forum this time each year.  Such wonderful Christmas displays with the trains.  Since this is the one time of year where the trains come out in our home, we tend to go all out.  Almost complete, here are a couple early shots of the Polar Express running through the Christmas Story village...

IMG_20141205_204017[1]

IMG_20141205_204211[1]

IMG_20141205_204247[1]

Thanks,

Sam

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_20141205_204017[1]
  • IMG_20141205_204211[1]
  • IMG_20141205_204247[1]

Originally Posted by Dtrainmaster:

From a couple of years ago. Corner of the room, 0-90 curves.

Christmas Corner

Video of same in the dark (not the best quality), with PW Santa Fe passenger set.

Dave

Dave,

I've always loved the lighting effects of the Rotary Beacons and your display is a great example of how they allow you to do more with less.

Originally Posted by SamM:

I always look forward to returning to this forum this time each year.  Such wonderful Christmas displays with the trains.  Since this is the one time of year where the trains come out in our home, we tend to go all out.  Almost complete, here are a couple early shots of the Polar Express running through the Christmas Story village...

IMG_20141205_204017[1]

IMG_20141205_204211[1]

IMG_20141205_204247[1]

Thanks,

Sam

Great shots Sam, A lot of us look forward to your Christmas presentations. Thanks for participating again.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.