Skip to main content

2015 Lionel Corporation Tinplate Catalog To Be Released Online August 19

August 18, 2015 - M.T.H. Electric Trains will be publishing its 2015 Lionel Corporation Tinplate catalog to the M.T.H. website on Wednesday, August 19th.

Jr Junction LCT 2015 catalog

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Jr Junction LCT 2015 catalog
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

For folks who don't like real roadname livery on their tinplate, this catalog ain't gonna do it for ya.  And you'll be saving lots of $$$ in your pocket.  But for those who like different liveries on their freight and passenger cars,  look out... Whoa!!! 

Pages 22-29 may set you back a bit... as will pages 38-42.

As for the new tooling items, the tankers, hoppers and wheel cars look nice.  But the bay window caboose doesn't call my name.

For me still being a Standard Gauge "newbie"... not a bad catalog.  Certainly not Earth-shattering though in that there's no "must have" items.  But even at that, it's not difficult to spend a few grand these days on "nice-to-have" items.    Hopefully, none of the items on my "want list" are due for arrival in 2015.  Just no room in the budget.  And I can't be the only one feeling that way.  So that's gotta be scaring the importers big-time.   Even with limited quantities and BTO production, there's still a lot of stuff in the market and only so many discretionary dollars to go around these days.

David

Last edited by Rocky Mountaineer

overall I like it,on the other post I did say bay window caboose,,,,,yeah,,,love the piper sets, brute in union pacific sharp,but would rather have that in a 390/380 or smaller set,,,love the vat cars,,,ala,,,k-line ,always wonder why no remake of the  2 sets lionel did  before,,,,tooling has to be somewhere, to recover the cost of those dies for the two steamers they made, i give it a two thumbs up

Originally Posted by terry hudon:

... brute in union pacific sharp...

I'm still new in the Standard Gauge world, but I think those are Super 381's.  The "brute" is even larger (and a bit more expensive too)!    My entree to Standard Gauge was the LCCA Goliath (brute) with matching showroom-sized passenger cars, and those things are enormous.

David

Last edited by Rocky Mountaineer

A polite yawn...

Mostly just repaints of existing tooling. Fine.

I give them some credit for coming up with a few new cars like the tankers. But what's the point of a vat car if you can't have the "Heinz" lettering?

Where is something exciting? Like a STDG operating milk or mail car... Or a caboose with an operating flagman? Some type of operational cars like in O but in STDG.

The last exciting new tinplate idea MTH came up with didn't sell, i.e.. the subway. ???

Originally Posted by JR Junction:

The Lehigh Valley Steam Passenger train caught my eye.

Mine too.  I wonder which names they'll use on the passenger cars?  Unless I missed it in my initial scan of the catalog, no details were provided for the 4 passenger cars -- except for use of the word "Presidential" for the dining car.  Allentown, Bethlehem, and Easton would be naturals for the passenger car names.

David

I think I'm in for a few 200 and 500 series freight cars.

The Lehigh Valley piper looks good, but I'll probably pass.  I think the cars are state cars and I don't need another set.

Same is true for the PRR state cars.  I have a brown set and that's good enough for me.

Funny, i saw one of the separate sale baggage state cars in brown sell on ebay last month for over $550.  Not an easy car to find.
Originally Posted by rdg_fan:

Can any of the dealers tell me if the RED 261 in the 2015 catalog is the same as the on in the 2014? If so, has it been released since the MTH Locator says MTH has the 2014 item it in stock? Will/does it have blackened linkage like in the 2014 catalog or shiny linkage like the 2015 catalog?

Much appreciation!

They appear to be different based on the pictures and model number.  The 2014 is 11-6058-1 and the 2015 is 11-6056-1.  The 2014 version has a red frame and the new version has a black frame.  I also noticed that all of the new locos are Proto 3; no traditional versions.

Jeff Davis

Last edited by trainman713

No sale.

Not a total dud but absolutely nothing calling my name. Road names on tinplate are a total non-starter for me (Lionel Lines is OK). Heck, if anything I might go for one of the Celebration Series items that have appeared for several years. Attractive trains but have always passed. Will mull it over.

Funny,  I noticed one of the signals (American Flyer Flasher) that I preordered like three years ago and has never been delivered. Forgot all about it until spotting near the back.

Saving my $$. For now.  

Originally Posted by JR Junction:
Originally Posted by johnstrains:

Funny,  I noticed one of the signals (American Flyer Flasher) that I preordered like three years ago and has never been delivered. Forgot all about it until spotting near the back.

These have not yet been released.  We are still waiting on them too.

Thanks, Phil. Guess it'll be a nice surprise for all of us!

I think the 400E needed a break as well. They have already been made in so many varieties. This also allows some economies of scale. Make Pipers now and come back and produce more 400E's in a different run later. I have one of the Brass Pipers (Wabash) and I am totally thrilled with everything about it.

The Pipers are comparable size-wise yet the piping gives it more details.I like the NYC and the Pennsylvania in these, the additional freight cars are a big plus.
The super 381 in the Pennsylvania looks great and 251 Pennsylvania Electric O set is a must buy.
    My biggest concern looking at the catalog is the 4-4-0's. I have two of these right now and the Russian Iron blue is stunning on both of them:

My concern is that the artist drawings are not going to do these locomotives justice. They are going to be visually stunning. The problem is where to get the money for all of this and where put the trains once they arrive.

Scott Smith

Last edited by scott.smith

scott I agree,I have the blue comet piper with nickel trim,,,super nice, the #6 in the catalog look tragic, I have the black and Russian iron,,and the dark green cars really nice,,,now that I'm retired I really have to limit myself,,,dollar and space wise,,,love the bay's and covered hoppers and gon's time will tell,,,still mad over those subway cars, ouch   !!!!

I have to say that i am disappointed to say the least.

I don't need the no. 6 set simply because of the cost or the Super 381 for that reason, and it is simply too big for what I can run. There are only so many train $$$ to go around.

We do not need anymore 400e's. Don't get me wrong, as I have a new one with PS3, however, dealers are already loaded with these units.

MTH got me started into to tinplate years ago with Starter sets, i.e. 260e and 384E sets, and I have not bought much in high rail since.

However, I could really use a plain color 390,392, or 1835, or Ives Steamer,to haul the cars I have been purchasing, and believe these are much more versatile.

I just hope our dealer friends do not get stuck with these high end items, and think it is going to make the tinplate community look for the deals out there on the older stuff.

I will probably order a few of the 500 freight cars but that is about it.

Sorry , did not mean to get on the soapbox

JoeG

I find the continuing discussion of the 400E kind of amusing. I don't have one, and I don't want one. To my aesthetic sense, the 392E is a much better looking locomotive; it's better proportioned and looks more like a real steam engine. The 400E was top of the line in its day and some day I might like to get one in crackle black, but on the whole I can live without it. 

I will agree with JOHNSTRAINS that the catalog isn't a total dud, but I don't really see anything that I want or need.  The only thing that really stands out for me is the Super 381 Pennsylvania set.  I'm tempted to order but the real estate needed to run it would be vast.  I also don't like to think of the possible damage done to the loco if there's a packing problem in China and it's not packed the proper way.  

Early Brute's were damaged because the loco was too heavy for the cheap bolts keeping it on its wooden platform.  To purchase such an expensive loco and find damage isn't really appetizing.  

I've had 3 Brutes before and, although they are beautiful to look at amazing to run, they are also very cumbersome to handle and don't lend themselves well to transporting (at least in my opinion).  I'm not certain if the the Super 381 would be the same.

For right now, Mike Wolf won't be getting into my wallet.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.