Skip to main content

Gilly@N&W posted:

That is one awesome candy train! You have collected a lot of very desirable cars, especially those LifeSaver cars. 

Thanks.  There are just so many nice cars out there and not enough room to run them all.  I had the complete set of Lionel North Pole passenger cars with reindeer names for a few years and let them go because I wanted to give priority to the candy cars

I like the snake. I try to work one into any layout that I design where the idea will fit. I you keep this plan, do it with O60 next year. I try use O104 on scale layouts.

I call it "making the train dance".

Throw some 10" in the snake to gain a little more speed for the train. It will look more like a BOA than a garden snake.

Good fun! Keep it up!

Attachments

Images (2)
  • Garrett76_2018_Snake_revision
  • Garrett76_2019_Track_Plan
Moonman posted:

I like the snake. I try to work one into any layout that I design where the idea will fit. I you keep this plan, do it with O60 next year. I try use O104 on scale layouts.

I call it "making the train dance".

Throw some 10" in the snake to gain a little more speed for the train. It will look more like a BOA than a garden snake.

Good fun! Keep it up!

Thanks.  Good tips!  I may have to replace some Fastrack pieces after discovering many broken connector tabs.  I had to break a few as well to compensate for tips lodged inside the rails

Garrett, Yes indeed, that Berk is a really nice locomotive.  Looks good and sounds good!  The candy cars are great for Christmas.

Dont underestimate the clearance between tracks.  I had dual tracks on my Ceiling Central RR.  For months I thought I had them spaced good then something would hit.  After several times of that over a couple years, I finally gave up and single tracked it this fall.  Of course my problem was increased with only 7” head clearance between tracks mounted on shelves right at the top of the doors and a low ceiling.  I couldn’t get a good view and it was hard to work on.

Leep up the good work 

Mark Boyce posted:

Garrett, Yes indeed, that Berk is a really nice locomotive.  Looks good and sounds good!  The candy cars are great for Christmas.

Dont underestimate the clearance between tracks.  I had dual tracks on my Ceiling Central RR.  For months I thought I had them spaced good then something would hit.  After several times of that over a couple years, I finally gave up and single tracked it this fall.  Of course my problem was increased with only 7” head clearance between tracks mounted on shelves right at the top of the doors and a low ceiling.  I couldn’t get a good view and it was hard to work on.

Leep up the good work 

Mark, thanks.  I did run into a clearance issue and did not have more 1-3/4 and 1-3/8 pieces on hand to better remedy the situation.  The change from 5.0 to 4.5 solved the immediate issue but I will have to pickup some smaller pieces next time I visit the LHS.  I also discovered that one of the 4.5 pieces caused a short circuit when I applied a binder clip on the underside of the piece.  It only caused problem on the right side, not the left.  I didn't have the desire to troubleshoot last night, so just removed the binder clip and everything works fine.  Every solution has a problem it seems.

Just for fun, I worked-up a version of Garrett's design, adding some features that goes beyond his Christmas layout for a concept for a more permanent layout, adding reverse loops and cross-overs.   Outside diameter is O44 compound - should run most O42 equipment.  The inside route is O36 minimum.   With easements of O48 and O72.   The curving lower middle section is O72.  Turnouts are O60 and O48.  Add spurs where you like.  -Ken

M413F-Forum_V1b

Attachments

Images (1)
  • M413F-Forum_V1b
Last edited by Ken-Oscale

Add Reply

The Track Planning and Layout Design Forum is sponsored by

AN OGR FORUM CHARTER SPONSOR

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.