Skip to main content

Considering picking one of these up and just wondering if anyone has had any experience with similar products, specifically:

1. Do they make a viable, less expensive substitute for a switcher in a small yard ?

2. Are they powerful enough to move several box/freight/etc. cars at a time ?

3. Odds of being plagued by the same electrical gremlins as the GE 44 tonner in terms of a short wheelbase, rollers too close together and issues going over switches ?

4. The description does not indicate that they have either horn, bell or sound - accurate ?

Thanks.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I have one of the North Pole Central models and use it to push/pull a couple of PS-1 boxcars to/from a siding. Works well with 2 cars attached. I've also had it at the end of another siding trying to push out 1/2 dozen cars and it struggles.  I have used it going over Fastrack O-36 switches without problems or stalling. To me, it's more of a novelty for moving a piece or two and not a substitute for a switcher. As previously stated, no sounds but TMCC with working couplers is great. Speaking of switchers, I love the look and size of the MTH 44 ton PS3 and wish they made that in a holiday theme. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.