Skip to main content

I missed the boat on the 2014-2015 Vision Line Big Boy- after a 5 year hiatus, I dove right back in and picked up a Vision Line 3985 Challenger (great engine!). I noticed that Lionel announced another release of the Big Boy in the Lionel 2019 vol.2 catalog. Will these be mechanically identical to the 2014 VL Big Boy? Thanks for your replies.

Geno

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As far as I know, they will be identical mechanically.  The first run was “as built”; this next run will be “in service” which is all cosmetic changes.  If you look back at earlier comments on the BigBoy, virtually all had to do with smoke output.  With tips from folks like AlexM, GunrunnerJohn and others we have been able to tweak smoke to the point that you can fill a room in no time.  My BigBoy has been running flawlessly for 5+ years with only a little grease and oil.

Since the changes are cosmetic, I don’t think one is necessarily better than the other.  The most noticeable thing is the cooling piping on the pilot, as build.  In service these were moved pretty quickly so only the headlight remained on the pilot.  In addition you have the items Jim pointed out.

The original version has two main smoke units which can work alternately or simultaneously (prototypical), whistle smoke and blowdown smoke.

Some dealers may still have a piece or two in stock, so check around.  Of course, there is always the guy on eBay who is selling one for $4349.99.

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that the new 2019 Big Boy's are not Vision Line but instead Legacy. Going a little deeper, the VL BB has Whistle Steam, dual-stack smoke units, blowdown smoke, depleting coal load, and as detailed as if it was just put into service. Whereas, the 2019 BB has one stack smoke unit, whistle steam, no blowdown smoke, no depleting coal load, and is made to look as 4014 looks today. This means, two dynamos on top of the boiler, no cooling tubes on the handrails, glossier finish on the boiler, Big Boy on the front of the smokebox door (on some not all), no ashpan, and no red knobs on the firebox. Now, both do have dual speakers, one being in the tender and one in the engine. Also, the sound system in 2019 will probably be the same as the VL BB. Personally, I am glad that I was able to get a VL BB since no one fully thought that Lionel was going to make a semi-scale and Legacy version, but it is really up to you on how much you want to pay. In other words, you are paying over $4,000 for the collectability, and features, whereas you are paying $2,000 for an engine with fewer features but more looks. 

@zhubl posted:

One note on the dynamos tho is that I highly doubt that they’ll have two dynamos in it. I wish they would but they didn’t do it with the last release of the 3985. And not to make it stick out now but if you look at our VL Big Boys there’s NO DYNAMO I suspect that’ll be the case again. But hey I will gladly be wrong

Looking at the catalog, your right on there not being two dynamos but there is a dynamo on the VL Big Boy. If you look at older photos of #4000 and on the engineer's side of the locomotive, you can see that there is a small dynamo located in between the two red knobs. I will post a photo of this latter today.

Looking at the catalog, your right on there not being two dynamos but there is a dynamo on the VL Big Boy. If you look at older photos of #4000 and on the engineer's side of the locomotive, you can see that there is a small dynamo located in between the two red knobs. I will post a photo of this latter today.

BFFE1529-A94B-4A80-9EF4-128FE5B1E5E3Here is a side photo of my VL Big Boy. The black object that I am pointing at is the dynamo that I am talking about. Thinking back at how Lionel loves to reuse old tooling, I would say that they will put the dynamo here instead of on top of the boiler.  

Attachments

Images (1)
  • BFFE1529-A94B-4A80-9EF4-128FE5B1E5E3

BFFE1529-A94B-4A80-9EF4-128FE5B1E5E3Here is a side photo of my VL Big Boy. The black object that I am pointing at is the dynamo that I am talking about. Thinking back at how Lionel loves to reuse old tooling, I would say that they will put the dynamo here instead of on top of the boiler.  

For what it's worth, all the first order of UP 4000s (4000 thru 4019) had the dynamo mounted there when delivered. It didn't take the UP Mechanical Dept. long to figure out that, even though that low-mounted location was much easier for access, the dynamo also collected all sorts of road dirt, ashes from the firebox, and grease slung from the running gear. Thus, the second order of 4000s (4020 thru 4024) had the dynamos mounted in the "normal location", way up on the Fireman's side of the boiler (that way the shop-men could stand on the side walkway, and service/adjust the dynamo as required).

The same applies to those air cooling coils mounted on the front pilot deck, i.e. the first delivery had them there, while the second deliver had the enclosed radiator coolers, and all the previous order eventually were modified, by the early 1950s, with the current design of radiator coolers. Thus, ALL those Lionel Vision Line models of the 7 road numbers out of the 8 saved/displayed UP 4000 class locomotives (Lione did not produce a Vision Line model of #4023), are incorrect in their front-end appearance.

Last edited by Hot Water

That's right I don't know why I think I saw this on a different thread before I just forgot That being said yes Lionel does like to get every little bit out of their tooling.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.