Skip to main content

@CarGuyZM10 posted:

-I’m also watching what special runs come up with the 2-6-0. I could use an undecorated one for a project

Buy anyone. You can have the lettering off in a minute with lacquer thinner without harming the base paint. I have done three Moguls and a half dozen other MTH and Lionel black steam engines that way.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...-mogul-gets-a-helper

Pete

Last edited by Norton
@CarGuyZM10 posted:

I’m probably going to get:

-I’m also watching what special runs come up with the 2-6-0. I could use an undecorated one for a project

If you’re not tied to a Mogul, you might check out the undecorated Consolidation coming from MrMuffins.  Unlike the Mogul, it actually has whistle steam. It’s due next month.

https://mrmuffinstrains.com/pr...=a0242d033&_ss=r

@Dave Olson, is there some reason the Strasburg Mogul for 2000 didn't get the spoked pilot wheels.  I'm pretty sure it has spoked wheels, or at least it did today.

When I look in the catalog, that's not what I see.

Also, what's with the cylinders, they're not even close to prototypically correct.

Is the catalog picture accurate, or will some of these issues be addressed?

Attachments

Images (4)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1
  • mceclip2
  • mceclip3

@Dave Olson, is there some reason the Strasburg Mogul for 2000 didn't get the spoked pilot wheels.  I'm pretty sure it has spoked wheels, or at least it did today.

Also, what's with the cylinders, they're not even close to prototypically correct.

I doubt it, but hopefully! Same for M&H 91, at the very least I'd like to see Lionel put the same headlight with the same number board on 91 as the 2000s 89. The one shown in the catalog is a lot smaller than the 89s number plate and not at all accurate to 91.

@gunrunnerjohn I doubt it as well I wanted the wabash from the last catalog and wanted spoked trailing wheels and told they would not do because no tooling.

@gunrunnerjohn I doubt it as well I wanted the wabash from the last catalog and wanted spoked trailing wheels and told they would not do because no tooling.

Well, the no tooling ia a bit of a hard sell, at least for me.  In the same catalog, another Mogul...

If we look a little closer...

Looks like the proper tooling to me!

Attachments

Images (2)
  • mceclip0
  • mceclip1

Finally had some time to look over the Volume II catalog on Lionel's website.  

As far as the Challengers, and any other reruns by Lionel and every other train importer, I'm glad they do it.  There have been so many wonderful offerings over the last 25 years that even when I was buying like a drunken sailor, I couldn't get all that I desired.  For all the Challengers made the last 25 years, I finally bought a Vision Line model from the Lionel 2018 catalog season, but I didn't buy it until late 2019.  Had they not rerun it for the hundredth time I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get one.  And I'm sure that's true for a lot of people with rerun products, including those just getting into the scale locomotive game.  There are still a few items I've missed out on, even recently that i can't find, that I hope get rerun someday soon.

The new Mikado's look really nice and relatively less expensive.  But I have a K-Line and MTH model and I don't upgrade just for extra features.

The C&O #614 Greenbriar is of mild interest since I saw it on static display down in Clifton Forge, Va. several years ago.  But I'd want it in the green Presidential Express version I saw it in.

As for what I'd like to get, since I'm now all in on Strasburg trains that are finally being made, the Strasburg #89 2-6-0 Mogul is a must have.  With the 2-10-0 Decapod soon arriving, and the possibility of #475 4-8-0 being done in the future, #89 will be a welcome addition to my Strasburg fleet.  I already have ten of the MTH wooden passenger cars to match so I'm ahead of the game.  I've spent many hours and days hanging around the Strasburg Railroad when I lived a few minutes away from it, watching and riding the trains in the Parlor, Dining and Presidential cars over the years.  It was so cool being close by to the oldest continuing operating railroad in America.

In addition, another instance of a rerun being cataloged at the right time for me, the Union Pacific Heritage M-K-T (Katy) SD70ACE is one I've been wanting.  There are so many Heritage units out there that I only buy the ones I've seen in the wild.  I saw it leading a UP freight a couple years ago heading west on the old Southern Pacific mainline near Banning, Ca.  I've been wanting to add that ever since and missed a couple of times when it was available while frying other fish.

The only other item of interest is the Southern Pacific SD40T-2 Superbass, the bloody nose version to go with my MTH ProtoSounds 2 version.

That's about it.  I may order them all, some of them or none of them.  The only definite is the Strasburg #89.  I'll have to prioritize how they will fit in the budget with the 3Rd Rail Amtrak Charger locomotives I'd like to get.

Well, the no tooling ia a bit of a hard sell, at least for me.  In the same catalog, another Mogul...

If we look a little closer...

Looks like the proper tooling to me!

I agree with you John. I asked the same thing in another thread.
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...c/162757709984039328

I also emailed them and so far I got back that the 2000s version will have spoked wheels. I’m still waiting to hear about whether it will have the steps on the pilot like the CN version. Like you said, the tooling exists for these. The cylinders probably would require new tooling.

@John Hon posted:

I agree with you John. I asked the same thing in another thread.
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...c/162757709984039328

I also emailed them and so far I got back that the 2000s version will have spoked wheels. I’m still waiting to hear about whether it will have the steps on the pilot like the CN version. Like you said, the tooling exists for these. The cylinders probably would require new tooling.

I guess I don't understand with a working prototype to look at anytime you like, how such basic details could be overlooked.  The fact that it requires no new tooling, just parts selection further confuses me!  I'd sure like to hear if the catalog picture is simply wrong or they're really going to ship it with the incorrect details that could be easily fixed.

I guess I don't understand with a working prototype to look at anytime you like, how such basic details could be overlooked.  The fact that it requires no new tooling, just parts selection further confuses me!  I'd sure like to hear if the catalog picture is simply wrong or they're really going to ship it with the incorrect details that could be easily fixed.

As I mentioned in another thread, the UP WP Heritage SD70ACE shown in the catalog has "jacked" ultra-saturated bright green paint.  The version from 10 years ago was faithful to the (dull green) prototype.  Is this a catalog mistake, or are they really playing with the paint colors as they occasionally have done in the past?  The uncertainty is absolutely keeping me from ordering one.

It's not like they asked you to buy the model....sight unseen....and call it BTO, would they? 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.