Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@breezinup posted:

On the Christmas car, if they'd pictured Rudolph the red nosed reindeer with the other reindeer behind him rather than a dog, it would have been a cool car. But a dog? What? They really missed an opportunity with this.

No they didn't.

It fits right in with all the other fun stuff they do. Jack the German Shepard has been a part of their buildings and other train items from the start.

I don't need another Christmas car with Rudolph, etc..

@VinceL posted:

I have a question for Mark or anyone who as already purchased this box car.  Are the graphics and blinking LED on both sides of the box car?  Lionel has cheaped out on some of their box cars with LED's and only put them on one side.

Hi Vince,

Yes, they are. The graphics and lights are duplicated on both sides (same position on both sides).

Thank you,
Mark the Menards Train Guy

When my wife saw the Menards Christmas car she said we are getting that one. I like it too, it reminds me of a dog we had years ago that would sit next to the Christmas tree and watch the train go round and round.  Most of our dogs have always had some interest in the Christmas tree trains including one that would grab the Railsounds Christmas caboose and carry it around in her mouth, it must of had something to do with Santa talking and kids singing.    

@RadioRon posted:

Yes!    I anticipated getting this car until I saw it & learned it's essentially a promo for their business.

I will assume you then pass on boxcars from Macy's, Boscov's, LCCA, ToysRUs, Dept56, etc.. which all have the names of their businesses prominently displayed.

Out of all the holiday (Thanksgiving or Christmas) themed cars I've seen a business put out, this is about the only one where the business doesn't have its name plastered all over it.

In what way is this an advertisement for their business?

It's directed to those of us who have fun with the Menard's items.

@EscapeRocks posted:

I will assume you pass on boxcars from Macy's, Boscov's, LCCA, ToysRUs, Dept56, etc.. which all have the names of their businesses prominently displayed.  Out of all the holiday (Thanksgiving or Christmas) themed cars I've seen a business put out, this is about the only one where the business doesn't have its name plastered all over it.  In what way is this an advertisement for their business?   It's directed to those of us who have fun with the Menard's items.

1)  Macy's boxcars are over with;  2) I never knew any Boscovs' releases to be rolling stock with Boscovs' name on it...  those are all long in the past anyway; 3)  LCCA isn't a "business," per se;  4)  ToysRus is out of business &  hadn't released any Lionel product for at least its last 10 years.  5) "In what way is this an advertisement for their business,?" you ask.    Well, gee, the highlight of the car is Menards' corporate mascot, a dog.  Its an advertisement that way.  6)  And I have plenty of fun with Menards train stuff.  LOL.

@redrockbill posted:

K-Line made one in the early aughts with a blinking red nose and they show up on the auction site occasionally. However, for the life of me I can't find a photo of it online right now. Happy to dig mine out tomorrow and take a pic if you'd like.

Thanks for the information. I imagine it's the K641-7412. Looked it up - a Rudolph boxcar from 2002. Very nice.

Last edited by breezinup
@breezinup posted:

Thanks for the information. I imagine it's the K641-7412. Looked it up - a Rudolph boxcar from 2002. Very nice.

That's the one. If you do want one, keep your eye on the bay, as they do show up occasionally and can often be had at a reasonable price. FWIW, it seems I'm always assembling Christmas trains, watch the bay regularly, and there have been some good deals on Christmas items lately…

@PRRick posted:

He did say for all intents and purposed. The brick and mortar stores are closed in the US. Hiding in a corner of a Macy's doesn't count.

Unfortunately it's definitely not "for all intents and purposes".

Is it still a retailer, a store or a chain of stores? Yes.

Can you still buy things from this retailer, store, or chain? Yes, in the U.S. in person at Macy's or online; in Canada also by walking in the door.

BTW -- If you're excluding online retailing as not being real "for all intents and purposes" then you have to remove Amazon, eBay, and many others.

And please don't exclude brick-and-mortar in Canada either.  It already gets enough grief in the eyes of too many US citizens who consider the country to be only a "junior member" of  North America.  The real stores are there.

Macy's counts, online sales count, real stores in Canada count, and they all count "for all intents and purposes".

Mike

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.