Skip to main content

I purchased this 205 Missouri Pacific Diesel Alco from ebay and I'm very happy with them.  There are no cracks in the apron, or anywhere on these at all. There is no paint chipping and no dark blue showing through.  All it took was a little cleaning and lube and they are running great!  My only problem is that they are very finicky on the track.  It seems to derail on every loop.  I checked the tracks and there aren't any major bumps or problems with it.  My steamers float around this track with no problem, so why is the diesel having so many derailments?  Also, can someone tell me approximately what these are worth?

Here is it behind the rest of my collection (just started collecting at Thanksgiving... I'm happy with what I've got so far!)

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I had a similar set of 224 diesels and I addded some magnets to the front end of the engine, put them on the frame, and that helped because they have very little weight to stay on the tracks. Don't do anything to wheels! At least not yet.

Do they derail on straight tracks as well?

The Greenberg's price guide gives a price range between $44 and $238, however one has a plastic pilot and the other has a metal pilot, the metal pilot bringing more money.

Lee F.

Last edited by phillyreading
Originally Posted by phillyreading:

I had a similar set of 224 diesels and I addded some magnets to the front end of the engine, put them on the frame, and that helped because they have very little weight to stay on the tracks. Don't do anything to wheels! At least not yet.

Do they derail on straight tracks as well?

The Greenberg's price guide gives a price range between $44 and $238, however one has a plastic pilot and the other has a metal pilot, the metal pilot bringing more money.

Lee F.

It has derailed on straight track as well.  I'm pretty sure the pilot is plastic.  Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Chuck Sartor:

Which truck is derailing? I have several of the 200 Alco series, and they are pretty reliable. If it is derailing on straight track. there must be a bent axle or a wheel that is wobbling.

I plan on taking a closer look tonight and figuring it out.  If I need one, I know who to ask Chuck!

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.