Skip to main content

I've got a 2343 Lionel F3 I've converted to TMCC with an ERR AC Commander. I'd like to wire the factory coil coupler to the ERR board but I can't figure out how to connect the ground to the board. The coupler only has one wire (power) and grounds through the frame. I know it can be done I'd jus like to know how others have wired it. Thanks. 

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

You'll need to isolate the coupler from the ground and then connect it to the AC Commander. Or another option is to get a newer version of the coupler that has the wires and connector to plug it in. Go to Lionels website and put "coupler" in the search box under replacement parts. You'll nee to know the length and the style of mounting for your coupler.

https://www.lionelsupport.com/...;submitButton=Search

Look for anything that says, "Coil Coupler".

Last edited by Jayhawk500

The instructions show which terminal is front coupler. Connect the coupler wire that is not connected to the chassis to this pin. You don't need to connect the grounded wire to the AC Commander as its already connected to ground.

If you run AA and want to fire the coupler on the trailing engine you would need to run a tether to that engine then wire it to the rear coupler terminal on the AC Commander.

Pete

Last edited by Norton

I checked the ERR board electro coupler pins for continuity to ground with my multimeter. On both the front and rear coupler connectors the pin closest to the rear of the board had continuity to ground (meter beeped). The pin closest to the radio board showed 1 on the meter with no beep. So it looks like the pin closest to the radio board is power, and the pin closest to the rear of the board is ground. So I'll try connecting the power wire for the coil coupler to the power pin and hope it works 😁.

Lou1985 posted:

Now if ERR would make the Mini Commander EX again I could get the coupler and directional lighting working on the dummy A unit. I'm not running a teather from the powered A unit as it would have to pass through two dummy B units to get there.

You can still use an R2LC with a 24 pin header. Less expensive than a Mini Ex and more functionality.

Pete

Norton posted:
Lou1985 posted:

Now if ERR would make the Mini Commander EX again I could get the coupler and directional lighting working on the dummy A unit. I'm not running a teather from the powered A unit as it would have to pass through two dummy B units to get there.

You can still use an R2LC with a 24 pin header. Less expensive than a Mini Ex and more functionality.

Pete

That sounds interesting. Is there a pin out somewhere of what everything on the R2LC controls? If so one could make it work pretty easy.

I had also considered picking up a couple LCRXs as well instead of the Mini Commander EX.

I was using the R2LCs by itself 15 years ago. I used a strip of pins - forget what it's called - but it's the correct spacing and you can snap off the length that you need. It's a single strip so just use two rows in parallel. Much cheaper than a connector and does the same function. I had all my cabooses with an R2LC for lights, couplers and smoke functions. Also did milk cars and anything with a solenoid using the coupler or smoke output. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.