Skip to main content

Just left Chris at Nicholas Smith in Broomall PA.  Understand it is a cold rainy dismal Monday here in S.E. PA, thought it might be a good time to pick up some layout widgets. 

As miserable as it is outside there was a line 5 to 8 people deep at the cash register buying track, locos and train sets.  Initially there was 4 people in front of me but then I ran to get something I had forgotten.  When I returned the were 8 totally new folks in line??  Wow!   Every time I stop in there I have to wait to spend my money.  It's as busy as a WAWA!  No complaints, it's just a great sign for the hobby. 

Even the waiting crowd was patient and friendly watching Chris  prep & wire up a lockon for a newby gratis, even gave him the wire!! shows just why folks flock there.

This shop has everything in every scale, new and used plus they take in trade ins.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When the Christmas season is over, say February, the store is as quiet as quiet can be, especially on weekdays. I live about 20 minutes away and stop in often, but not at this time of year. When it's slow, I'm often the only customer! If you like and live nearby, you can order online and specify in-store pickup. Save some bucks on shipping and get a speedy checkout.

I was down at Nicholas Smith last week a couple of times the last couple of weeks...and I live almost an hour away - it is that good of a train and toy store (and there was a Christmas train displayed on the shelf that I just had to see again)! It is a busy season for them and I always seem to make the pilgrimage this time of year, partly as a diversion from my work and medical which takes me in that general Philly direction.

I'd bet there are very few stores like Nicholas Smith left in the country. The downstairs is mostly toys and models, some train stuff, while the upstairs is all trains of multiple gauges. For whatever reason, the shelves at in the upstairs part of the store display trains in the most attractive and realistic light I've ever seen - yet they appear to be simple wooden shelves and the lighting is not bright. While the internet has taken the hobby shop experience out of the equation for some, walking around Nicholas Smith is a treasured and unique experience, kind of like walking around an old hardware store with floor to ceiling shelves of every possible wonder known to man.

I recall I was living in an apartment along the mainline when I discovered the shop by accident in the mid 1990s. At that time, I was collecting Corgi die-cast (still do) and was just thinking about getting back into trains, which I did a couple of years later and purchased a Railking PRR K4 steamer from those very magical shelves I mentioned earlier.

fwiw: The original store, and actual Nicholas Smith the person, was in Philly and I had the honor of seeing their G-scale train layout that they setup during Christmas season at John Wanamaker's department store in the early 1970s. It was a tremendous display.

Last edited by Paul Kallus

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.