Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The easiest way is to look at the engine's battery charging jack.

If it's round with one pin in it, or if there is no jack at all, it's a 5 volt board.

If it's rectangular with 2 pins in it, it's a 3 volt board.

This and a whole lot more is all in MTH’s “The DCS O Gauge Companion 2nd Edition", available for purchase as an eBook or a printed book at MTH's web store!

Here's the story. Gave my camelback engine, which was working fine to my knowledge, to my local teck to add some marker lights. When he got it, he found that turning on the smoke unit killed the engine, so to speak. He's been talking with Marty and George to try to figure out what is going on and if the board can be salvaged. The ultimate fix for me here may be an upgrade board. I note that George keeps recommending keeping a fresh battery in these 5 volt boards. I'm trying to understand why. 

This is a bummer.  I didn’t know that 5V boards were problematic.  I’ve got three that I really would hate to lose.  They are about 14-15 years old and running fine at present.  I just put a BCR in one of them.  Is a BCR really an issue with 5V boards?   I do have a dummy that was 3V and had both boards go bad, but I’m thinking it was a lemon.

Originally Posted by GHD:

I note that George keeps recommending keeping a fresh battery in these 5 volt boards. I'm trying to understand why. 

He recommends that for a very good reason!  The old 5V white (or silver) batteries are long past their expiration date, and most are dead when I take them out.  Whenever I get a 5V repair, if I see a white/silver battery, it hits the trash first!

Originally Posted by gunrunnerjohn:

I note that George keeps recommending keeping a fresh battery in these 5 volt boards. I'm trying to understand why. 

He recommends that for a very good reason!  The old 5V white (or silver) batteries are long past their expiration date, and most are dead when I take them out.  Whenever I get a 5V repair, if I see a white/silver battery, it hits the trash first!

John are you installing those batteries from "###y" that you recommended earlier?

Any NiMh battery with 7 cells will be far better than the old dead ones.  I've found several that appeared to be pretty much a total short in dead locomotives.  I can't say if that contributed to the demise, but it's certainly possible.

A BCR costs about five times what the NiMh battery costs, ROI is with the battery for 5V boards IMO.

Last edited by gunrunnerjohn

Here's the story. Gave my camelback engine, which was working fine to my knowledge, to my local teck to add some marker lights. When he got it, he found that turning on the smoke unit killed the engine, so to speak. He's been talking with Marty and George to try to figure out what is going on and if the board can be salvaged. The ultimate fix for me here may be an upgrade board. I note that George keeps recommending keeping a fresh battery in these 5 volt boards. I'm trying to understand why. 

Did he ever isolate the heat element from the fan when testing.  A bad smoke fan motor can do it.  So replacing that is an easy $6 fix.  I believe it was doing it in the board tester too which means the board is the issue.

I recommended changing the fan motor fets or heater fet after the isolation test.

I don't think we really have any conclusive failure analysis data on these boards.  Also there are so many revisions to that board.  G, H, I, K and even an L I think, let alone mods between revisions.

What I was told is that several of the circuits on that board where operated near design limits.  Maybe a 1 amp diode that had to source .8 or.9 amps continuous.

As I stated earlier some do fine and others die for no apparent reason.

Same goes with BCR versus Battery.  I know of nothing conclusively, and some swear by them, others have stated they were told the charging circuit can't handle them. 

You probably can make some assumptions based on how a BCR behaves versus a Battery, but does it lead to failures?

Would a shorted or very dead battery put an undo load on a PS-2 board.  I think I would vote yes.  Does it push it over the limit and break it?  Maybe sometimes.  G

Last edited by GGG

I'm glad I noticed this thread.  I'm getting bits and pieces of the PS2 5v board controversy.  If I own 5v PS2 engines older than 5 years, then I should replace the OEM battery with a NiMh battery with 7 cells, correct?

Now can someone clarify:

• Is there any advantage or disadvantages with using a BCR over a 7 cell NiMh battery (other than the BCR costing 5x's as much)?
  • If replacing the OEM battery with a NiMh, will the NiMh need replaced subsequently every 5 years?
  • Is there proven evidence that it is unwise to use a BCR?
  • If you do use a BCR, how long to they generally last?

Thanks,

Rich

Wouldn't it be nice if MTH would give us a price break on the upgrade boards to save these old 5 volt systems?

MTH already discounts the upgrade kit quite a bit over the price of the individual parts

Unfortunately, MTH does not make available to the hoi polloi, but only to techs, the board that is designed to "easily" replace a 5-volt board.  Changing a 5-volt system to a 3-volt system with an upgrade kit can be a little more complicated.

Originally Posted by RJR:

By any chance, have the instruction manuals for the upgrade kits been posted on line yet?  The wiring diagrams, if they're like those in the PS2 manuals, will tell a lot.

The wiring harness is the same as in the PS2 kits.  The new stacker board kit has 3V PS2 connectors on it.  They can be replaced with the 5V connectors with a little careful prying.  There are some photos of it floating around here.

Dave

PS-32 Upgrade kits have 3V connectors to go with the 3V harness.  There is a PS-32 with 5V connectors sold as the repair board for PS-2 5V.  The bottom board (PS-3 stacker) is the same for both.  The top board is a separate order part $25 MSRP I believe.  So you might be able to order that if you did not want to pry off connectors.

Otherwise everything else is the same, and the wiring harness are the same as PS-2 3V harnesses.  So pinout is the same.

The separate sale board issue is about Warranty.  With an ASC you get one, without the training background anyone purchasing one and blowing it during install would expect a warranty.  I think you could understand why MTH would be hesitant to sell replacement boards like that.  Though I am sure some would argue.  G

Most have no business getting inside their trains.

Absolutely - I couldn't agree more!!

The statement is not incorrect.  But I do note that on the forum, when there is a problem, the fist advice is often to remove the shell and check the wiring or battery, which is the correct advice.  I also note that many posts describing a problem commence:  "I took my DCS loco to my LHS tech and since then...."

Robert,

the fist advice is often to remove the shell and check the wiring or battery, which is the correct advice.

I agree that is often the first advice provided, however, I do not agree that it's always, or even often, correct.

IMO, the list of things to initially do is:

• Check that tracks have power
  • Verify operation of the DCS components, i.e., TIU, remote and AIU
  • Attempt an engine feature reset
  • Verify that the DCS signal is on for all tracks
  • See if the problem occurs with a different engine
  • Perform a DCS signal test with the problem engine and a known, working engine
  • Test the battery in the prescribed manner, i.e., by turning off track power and listening for how long sounds persist.

The order of the above isn't particularly critical and other non-invasive things may also be attempted.

Regardless, I'm sure you "get" the idea.

Only when all else fails should a someone who doesn't have a lot of experience inside the engine attempt to open the engine and poke around inside.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.