Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The 390 locos in the 2017 LCT Catalog all have Proto 3.0 sound and control systems so the conventional e-unit is not relevant with these engines.

The Lionel Classics 1-390E and 2-390E locos had traditional BAL motors and electro-mechanical e-units hence the "E" designation. They also had die cast mechanical "air whistles" in their respective tenders.

Tinplate Art posted:

The 390 locos in the 2017 LCT Catalog all have Proto 3.0 sound and control systems so the conventional e-unit is not relevant with these engines.

The Lionel Classics 1-390E and 2-390E locos had traditional BAL motors and electro-mechanical e-units hence the "E" designation. They also had die cast mechanical "air whistles" in their respective tenders.

My 390-E project has the BAL motor with drum commutator. I'm just asking as the BAL brushplate I bought turned out to be for the pancake commutator. What year was the switch from drum comm to pancake?

FIREWOOD:

Pages 238-242 have a very complete history of the THREE types of Bild-A-loco motors complete with detailed/labeled photographs. Both the disc type commutator and the drum type commutator are shown along with the different field lamination totals for Type 1, 2 and 3 motors. Dates for each type are discussed and your question should be answered.

Last edited by Tinplate Art

FIREWOOD:

On further reading of the above referenced pages in the Greenberg Guide, the date for conversion from drum type commutator to disc type in the BAL motors occurred in 1932. Check with Jeff Kane of the Train Tender for the exact part you need for your motor. BTW, there were TWO different original types of brush holders for the drum type commutators!

Last edited by Tinplate Art
Tinplate Art posted:

FIREWOOD:

On further reading of the above referenced pages in the Greenberg Guide, the date for conversion from drum type commutator to disc type in the BAL motors occurred in 1932. Check with Jeff Kane of the Train Tender for the exact part you need for your motor. BTW, there were TWO different original types of brush holders for the drum type commutators!

Thank you Art, much appreciated!

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.