Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Originally Posted by wallace:

Did any railroads use the Atlantic engine for freight? Does anyone have any idea if a Lionel Pennsy's Red Arrow 6-11320 would handle a 036 fast track switch? It says on the Lionel sight 0-36 minimum radius. All of my turns are 48 or 57 except for the switches. Thanks the help.

Not that I'm aware of; the Atlantic, by it's design, was meant for and used expressly for fast passenger service.  Only exception that I can think of is perhaps some tank-style locomotives with the same wheel configuration that was used in Europe, South Africa had some Atlantics that pulled freight.  But as the old saying goes, it's your railroad, run it however you want. 

What's the radius of your switches?

Originally Posted by wallace:

Did any railroads use the Atlantic engine for freight? Does anyone have any idea if a Lionel Pennsy's Red Arrow 6-11320 would handle a 036 fast track switch? It says on the Lionel sight 0-36 minimum radius. All of my turns are 48 or 57 except for the switches. Thanks the help.

My Lionel conventional Atlantics pull freight trains through 036 Fastrack switches all he time.

On my layout they sometimes do.  I realize it makes no prototypical sense - like hooking up quarter horses to the Budweiser wagon, but often I want to run my lovely Lionel Southern Atlantic # 1910 and don't feel like switching out a long freight consist for passenger cars.  So I just switch out  whatever loco was pulling the freight and put the Atlantic in its place.  It looks good pulling freight - but then, it always looks good!

Railroads used - and use - what they have to do what they must. The 4-4-2 was

typically intended for higher-speed passenger service; the relatively small size

and usually large drivers made the Atlantic low on tractive effort - but high on

horsepower (we automobile types would say that the Atlantic was "peaky").

Yes, Atlantics were used for freight, though not generally as a matter of policy, except

on, say, a short line with only a couple of locos or few grades or short trains or any

of those things. Don't put an Atlantic on a drag freight - the freight would have won in

the real world.

The NYC had freight Pacifics, designed on the drawing board for just that service. Their

initial duty was fast freight, and some classes were the direct ancestors of the 4-8-2

Mohawk freighters. The NYC also used some Pacifics for transfer freight service; they had 

footboard pilots, low drivers and cut-back switcher-type tenders.

The Pacific is traditionally considered a passenger loco by fans, but if in fact it was

used for other things, so was the Atlantic. The Atlantics often wound up in commuter service, though the high drivers were not optimal for this purpose (low TE).

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.