Skip to main content

First, let me say a big THANK YOU to Atlas for announcing these 53' single unit well cars. So many of us modern modelers can't get enough of Atlas's intermodal equipment.

However, I did not see any 53' containers announced in the catalog. 40' yes, but will there be another announcement of 53' containers for these? Previous runs of 53 footers are totally sold out. And there are a lot of container names that haven't been made yet.

I for one would kill for JB Hunt and Swift containers.

- Jason

Last edited by jdstucks
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

A temporary solution is to contact DigiCom  Designs    www.digcomdesigns.net They sell paper designs for HO containers which you can print.  But they did reproduce some O scale containers for me.  They look pretty good on heavy stock paper.  I reinforced them with an internal support of poster board, and I use the 53 foot containers on top of 48 footers.  They have lots of options.

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_1426
  • IMG_1442
@martind posted:

A temporary solution is to contact DigiCom  Designs    www.digcomdesigns.net They sell paper designs for HO containers which you can print.  But they did reproduce some O scale containers for me.  They look pretty good on heavy stock paper.  I reinforced them with an internal support of poster board, and I use the 53 foot containers on top of 48 footers.  They have lots of options.

Certainly a good solution. But I'd rather hold out for the experts at Atlas to make my dream containers

- Jason

@jdstucks posted:

Yup! Look at all those JB Hunt containers. That's what we need in O-Scale! Pretty Please

- Jason

I remember reading somewhere that JBH would not license their "artwork". Some years back on ebay, a set of privately done Hunt containers and well-hole flats (six containers and three flats, I think) went for over six hundred dollars! The msrp for the equivalent  commercially available set was around two to two-fifty. Someone really, really wanted those!

PS: I dropped out around four-fifty!

EDIT: K-Line offered a semi done up in Hunt colors, I just remembered as I have one. It was a cab-over tractor and a box trailer.

Last edited by PRRMP54

I'm with you, Jason, JB Hunt Containers are definitely needed in O gauge. It's almost unrealistic to see an inter-modal train without them. While we're taking requests, how about some Fed Ex and UPS containers also?

I have made a few custom JBH containers using Atlas  "undecorated" containers and Microscale decals, but it is not easy to get the decals just right. And, undecorated containers are now hard to come by as well.

IMG_0360

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_0360
@Van Rail posted:

I'm with you, Jason, JB Hunt Containers are definitely needed in O gauge. It's almost unrealistic to see an inter-modal train without them. While we're taking requests, how about some Fed Ex and UPS containers also?

I have made a few custom JBH containers using Atlas  "undecorated" containers and Microscale decals, but it is not easy to get the decals just right. And, undecorated containers are now hard to come by as well.

IMG_0360

I knew you were working on some custom decaled JB Hunt containers. They look like they came out really nice! And just increases my desire for Atlas to make them.

- Jason

Jason-

Thought you might like these. I bought 8 Marten containers when they were released many years ago with intent to repaint them, only finally got around to it now. Decals are from Highball Graphics- they are very thick and hard to work with, but I got it down to a science with some practice. I don’t think these decals were even available when I first bought the containers.

These aren’t fully repainted either, I just sanded down the Marten graphics and sprayed a few very thin coats of white Rustoleum over the area. It’s a very time consuming process. Rustoleum’s white seems to be a lot more pigment rich than other white spray paints, so you can preserve the model detail nicely as long as you’re patient with it. The door ends of the containers are a little bit fantasized graphics wise, because I didn’t want to do any repainting on the doors. It’s not exactly a glaring error.

I too was praying and praying for these from Atlas… but it’s been about ten years since they were first announced, I don’t know how much hope is left. But I definitely wouldn’t mind having another 10+ to go with these ones. 😅

IMG_1518IMG_1503IMG_1521

Attachments

Images (3)
  • IMG_1518
  • IMG_1503
  • IMG_1521
@jdstucks posted:

First, let me say a big THANK YOU to Atlas for announcing these 53' single unit well cars. So many of us modern modelers can't get enough of Atlas's intermodal equipment.

However, I did not see any 53' containers announced in the catalog. 40' yes, but will there be another announcement of 53' containers for these? Previous runs of 53 footers are totally sold out. And there are a lot of container names that haven't been made yet.

I for one would kill for JB Hunt and Swift containers.

- Jason

Jason,

I am unsure if you are looking for a very specific color scheme for the Swift, 53', Intermodal container, but Atlas did announce the Swift container, sometime last year and a recent update to their Shipping Schedule had the Container Ship Date as Jan 26, 2024. So, they could arrive in the US, sometime in March.

These are just my opinion,

Naveen Rajan

@naveenrajan posted:

Jason,

I am unsure if you are looking for a very specific color scheme for the Swift, 53', Intermodal container, but Atlas did announce the Swift container, sometime last year and a recent update to their Shipping Schedule had the Container Ship Date as Jan 26, 2024. So, they could arrive in the US, sometime in March.

These are just my opinion,

Naveen Rajan

I was very happy to see the Swift container offered. My hope now is that they do the plane white Swift container instead of the gray with the shield logo. I know, I'm being picky

Jason

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.