Skip to main content

This is directed at the webmaster. You are wrong on so many points I don't know where to start. First there are MANY unlicensed bands allowed by the FCC. CB radios for one which put 5 watts into the final and end up with about 3 if the antenna and final are well tuned. The second point is you contradict yourself. You correctly state that the input to the Final Stage cannot exceed 0.1 Watt. It says nothing about the wattage output of the final stage.  My device could possible produce 3 watts output, maybe, if a fully tuned circuit was at the output. A bunch of railroad track running in circles will not tune to 455 Khz and my tank coil is not tuned on the secondary at all. And again I point out that I am producing no more output voltage P-P than the Lionel command base does. If my device is an FCC violation then the entire Lionel TMCC system is also. By your definition all of the Music to Christmas light outdoor display transmitters are a FCC violation, and all cordless phones are a violation, and all of the 1 WATT output 900 Mhz unlicensed ethernet radios are a violation, and on and on. If you would spend some time on the FCC site and research some things you would find some important facts. The 455 Khz frequency falls into the marine radio spectrum and is the old spectrum and largely unused now. They were allowed to use up to 10 watt hand held radios without a license in that band. Also the restriction for radiated power is based on field strength. The FCC formula for that frequency is 2400/455(kHz) measured at 300 meters. That would be a signal strength of 5.27 microvolts at 300 meters. Good luck on exceeding that with the TMCC setup with or without my device. Then the overriding FCC language on all RF devices is that they can be used as long as nobody is affected ( a neighbor complaining of interference for instance ). There is simply nothing wrong or illegal about this device and if there were then whole Lionel TMCC system would be in violation also. I am pretty sure that Lionel researched that frequency carefully before they picked it for the very reason you are concerned. That old 0.1 watt INPUT into the FINAL amp ( NOT THE FINAL AMP OUTPUT) has so many other restrictions and exceptions associated with it that you simply cannot apply it to every device that produces RF. You will have to dig in the FCC rules to really find out what is restricted and what is not. 

Last edited by Jim LeFevre
Original Post
Originally Posted by Jim LeFevre:

You correctly state that the input to the Final Stage cannot exceed 0.1 Watt. It says nothing about the wattage output of the final stage.  My device could possible produce 3 watts output, maybe, if a fully tuned circuit was at the output. 

Explain to me how you can get 3 watts OUT of a transmitter if you only put .1 watt into the final? That is patently impossible. Your reference to 7 volts p-to-p means nothing without also knowing the current in the circuit. There are other problems with this project that I'm not going to get into here.

I have an RF background. Back when FCC licenses were required to sign on the transmitter log at the TV station I worked at, I held a First Class Radiotelephone license. I used to repair CB and VHF-FM 2-way radios. I've repaired over 5,000 CB radios alone. I know what I'm talking about.

The bottom line is that this project is NOT legal. If you want to discuss this privately, go for it. I do not want it discussed here because it is an illegal RF amplifier/transmitter.

This thread is now also closed. Don't start another one on this subject.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.