Skip to main content

Need to connect a 497 Coal Loader to an AIU, been thinking (usually gets me in trouble) about connecting it as an Accessory OR connecting it as a Switch.

Given that an Accessory offers "On, Off, Act" I'm thinking I would need to use 4 Accessory positions.  One for each function.  The Coal Loader does have a couple of functions that do multi tasking, which is accommodated within the internal wiring of the Control Panel Control (eg. Lift Bucket Up, and Close Bucket, are the on the same lever.)  As a result there is a "UP", "DOWN", "LOAD", "DUMP" selections.  Therefore, will need 4 Accessory Stations.

Now IF I wire it as a "switch" on the AIU, I'm thinking would only need two positions.  The UP and DOWN as 1 location, which would relate to the "Left" and "Right" switch positions.  And, the Load and Dump as the other switch position, again Left -> Load, Right -> Dump. 

Anyone think I would be damaging anything?

Appreciate any comments.

Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Don,

If you wire it as a switch, the action will only be for a second or two, as the switch soft keys only make momentary contact.

You could possibly use a SW port for "open" and "close". However, for "up" and "down" you would really need to use a pair of ACC ports.

A better solution might be to consider installing an ERR Mini Commander and operate it like a TMCC engine. Open and close could be done using coupler commands and the engine speed would control up and down, with the direction button switching between them.

Last edited by Barry Broskowitz

Many years ago, I wired my 497 into an AIU using four accessory positions. This setup has worked perfectly for me.  I depress "ACT" as long as I want an action to continue, e.g., I hold ACT button down until the bin reaches the top of the overhead building.  I labeled each function as 497-Up, 497-Down, 497-Dump, and not surprisingly, 497-Load.

I hadn't thought of the TMCC option; however, given that everything works OK, I'm going to leave well enough alone.  I installed gantry crane-specific TMCC commanders in my two modern era magnetic gantry cranes.  The commanders work OK and are an improvement over conventional control.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.