Skip to main content

Anybody using one on their trains?

I had a small gap to fill in an area between a dome I made from pvc round stock and a diecast boiler shell.  JB Weld just didn't want to cooperate.  My daughter came by not long ago and gave me one of these pens, got it at a dollar store I think.

Anyway, I filled the gap with the "glue" and zapped it with the light on the other end of the pen for 5 seconds or so and not only did it fill the gap it's also pretty tough.  It is sandable and a few swipes of sandpaper I was all done.

The glue is clear, I made sure the gap/area was as clean as I could get it and gave it a squirt.

Not sure if it'll work on scratches but it worked on a small gap.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Don't count on a lot of strength, but it is pretty convenient.

The strength varies A LOT from one brand to another.  I have been buying it in an 8 oz bottle from a dental supply here in Bham and it is very strong.  Not quite as strong as JB Weld but better than common epoxy. The Bondic pen I tried was almost as good but much more expensive. Some of the cheap chinese uv cure I tried never quite cures and stays sticky. If you are gluing to metal or a slick plastic the mating surface needs to be roughened-up as much as practical. Once cured it does not bond to itself very well without roughing up the mating surface.                        j

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.