Skip to main content

645 posted:

<snip>....So taken that way the "Spirit of Roanoke" lettering isn't so bad and I recall it is on there as a magnetic sign so it can be removed for photo opportunities if desired.

That makes it easy for the crew when they paint the engine blue with a smiley face for their upcoming "Thomas the Tank Engine" weekend.

Lighten up, everyone. I'm only joking.

They'll be keeping the tender with her.

OGR Webmaster posted:
VGN64 posted:

Perhaps they will remove the "Spirit of Roanoke" from the cab as many people believe it's an insult to all rest of the N&W employees who helped build the railroad and 611supporters.   I know it bothers me and many of my friends. 

645 posted:

I agree with this as the 611 did not wear that "Spirit of Roanoke" lettering while in revenue service. That said it is also true none of my money supports the operation of 611 either so if the owners want to paint it bright pink with a neon purple stripe nothing we can do about it other than shake our head in disbelief...     So taken that way the "Spirit of Roanoke" lettering isn't so bad and I recall it is on there as a magnetic sign so it can be removed for photo opportunities if desired.

Good grief!

Some of you guys would complain if someone gave you $1 million in $50 bills because it was too heavy to carry.

Here's an operable steam locomotive in January of 2017 running on a Class 1 railroad in the dead of winter and you guys want to complain about a sign that can't even be seen in 99% of the pictures taken of this locomotive anyway? And even if you can see it...so what?

How do you think this makes NS management and the 611 crew feel when they see this kind of silliness posted about their herculean efforts? Is it no wonder that steam locomotive operators often hold railfans in such contempt? 

Railfans can be one of the most self-destructive groups of people I have ever known. 

Hear, hear, Mr. Melvin.

And it always seems that those with the least skin in the game flap their gums the most.

How do you think this makes NS management and the 611 crew feel when they see this kind of silliness posted about their herculean efforts? Is it no wonder that steam locomotive operators often hold railfans in such contempt? 

Normally I'm not one to argue with you Rich, but the whole Spirit thing does bug me. It's my understanding that this was more of a decision made by higher ups at the VMT as opposed to a "Crew" decision. It is also my understanding that this lettering was one cause of Preston Claytor leaving his position within the group. The lettering has always felt more of a marketing / branding move than an actual tribute to the folks that built and run the locomotive.  I guess I just don't buy that this is a simple tribute when there has been so much push back from multiple fronts. 

That being said if somehow the lettering is paying the bills then so be it, but between the lettering, the push to try and trademark 611 and the image of the J, etc. Let's call this what it is, a business move. 

I have all the respect in the world for  Jim Stump, Cheri George, Scott Lindsay and countless others who have devoted resources into this project, but I highly doubt this was their decision. Also if this was such a big tribute to the city of Roanoke, why wasn't lettering applied while the locomotive sat in the museum all these years? 

Big Jim posted:
Gilly@N&W posted:

BTW, did they knock out the dent in the sand dome?

Where is this said dent? Can you point it out? I have never paid any attention to it unlike the one that was in the tender.

Please keep in mind that my memory is from around 1967. It may have been on one of the covers, but what I remembered was a scrape/gouge mark. I remember noticing damage with a surrounding area that was not damaged. The reason I recall it is, I couldn't understand at the time how/why the damage could have occurred.

I also remember getting my church clothes dirty and receiving a world class whooping.

Notch 6 posted:

Normally I'm not one to argue with you Rich, but the whole Spirit thing does bug me. It's my understanding that this was more of a decision made by higher ups at the VMT as opposed to a "Crew" decision. It is also my understanding that this lettering was one cause of Preston Claytor leaving his position within the group. The lettering has always felt more of a marketing / branding move than an actual tribute to the folks that built and run the locomotive.  I guess I just don't buy that this is a simple tribute when there has been so much push back from multiple fronts. 

I guess there's a couple of things to remember:

1. It's not 1950 anymore.
  2. VMT has title to the locomotive.  It's theirs.  Not NS, not "the Crew."
  3. It's not the worst thing to happen to an operating locomotive. 
  4. Branding or Tribute?  When I first saw it I interpreted it as a Tribute.  Maybe I'm wrong.  If it is branding, see #2.  If it is a Tribute, see #2.
  5. Finally, where is VMT and where does the 611 reside?  Oh yeah...  Roanoke, Virginia.

Rusty

Gilly@N&W postedlease keep in mind that my memory is from around 1967. It may have been on one of the covers, but what I remembered was a scrape/gouge mark. I remember noticing damage with a surrounding area that was not damaged. The reason I recall it is, I couldn't understand at the time how/why the damage could have occurred.  I also remember getting my church clothes dirty and receiving a world class whooping.

Up until it was recently restored to operation there were a couple large dents in the left(?) side of the tender from that wreck (or so I've read in several places) that were visible, maybe that's what you're thinking of?  I don't think any others would have been noticeable to anybody other than the shop crew working on her with the shrouding in place.

In this picture you can see a large dent that runs the length of the tender near the top

Last edited by SantaFe158

"Perhaps they will remove the "Spirit of Roanoke" from the cab as many people believe it's an insult to all rest of the N&W employees who helped build the railroad and 611supporters."

I don't see where anyone should be insulted by that. I can't say that I like it there, maybe if they had built a continuation (a la Shelby) numbered 614, but, I don't see any insult.

The insult comes when "the push to try and trademark 611 and the image of the J"  was announced! I have no idea how that went or if they could go through with it. I wouldn't think so, but, stranger things have happened. 

SantaFe158 posted:
Gilly@N&W postedlease keep in mind that my memory is from around 1967. It may have been on one of the covers, but what I remembered was a scrape/gouge mark. I remember noticing damage with a surrounding area that was not damaged. The reason I recall it is, I couldn't understand at the time how/why the damage could have occurred.  I also remember getting my church clothes dirty and receiving a world class whooping.

Up until it was recently restored to operation there were a couple large dents in the left(?) side of the tender from that wreck (or so I've read in several places) that were visible, maybe that's what you're thinking of?  I don't think any others would have been noticeable to anybody other than the shop crew working on her with the shrouding in place.

In this picture you can see a large dent that runs the length of the tender near the top

Gilly could have seen the sand dome damage because IIRC, the skyline shrouding that covered the top of the boiler was not replaced after the accident.

Big Jim posted:

"Perhaps they will remove the "Spirit of Roanoke" from the cab as many people believe it's an insult to all rest of the N&W employees who helped build the railroad and 611supporters."

I don't see where anyone should be insulted by that. I can't say that I like it there, maybe if they had built a continuation (a la Shelby) numbered 614, but, I don't see any insult.

The insult comes when "the push to try and trademark 611 and the image of the J"  was announced! I have no idea how that went or if they could go through with it. I wouldn't think so, but, stranger things have happened. 

I wonder how many of the "Greatly Insulted" will still photograph, chase or ride behind the 611 when given the opportunity.

Rusty

Big Jim posted:

Photoshop or Lightroom.   Less than 5 minutes and it's gone, if that's what you prefer.  

Standard Gauge posted:
Big Jim posted:

Photoshop or Lightroom.   Less than 5 minutes and it's gone, if that's what you prefer.  

It doesn't bother me enough to waste time fooling with Photoshop to get rid of it.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.