Skip to main content

Have you ever seen the 611 up close and personal Rich?

I'm willing to bet good money that he has! Maybe even double-headed with 611. For myself, I've also seen 611 "up close and personal" on many, MANY occasions. Plus, I spent a day on #600 out of crewe, Va back in about 1957.

As a result, I wouldn't walk across the street to watch 611 pass by being pulled by a diesel. It would be far better to spend the money at Strasburg Rail Road, in my opinion.

For me, thats all it takes.

@Rich Melvin posted:

What is the fascination involved in watching a diesel tow a steam engine around? I don’t get it.  

Rich, you're forgetting that most of us haven't had the chance to be behind the throttle of a real locomotive! Given your experiences, it might not be exciting to you - but it is to some people out there.

Seeing steam on a mainline, even if it's in tow, is something different. While it's not true "mainline steam", it still mixes up the monotony of seeing the same steam engines running on the same short lines every day/week/month/year.

That being said, I'm not waiting with popcorn to see it live, but I will watch the videos that people post.

The exciting part about 611 being moved is that it will soon be at Strasburg which is within driving distance to me.

I'm going to have to agree with Rich and Hot Water. I have no interest in seeing a steam engine being towed by a diesel. Yeah, I can get that seeing it on the mainline is a thing of beauty, but under the circumstances it is like watching a boxer fight with his hands tied up. I don't remember who was talking about 611 running fast and where, but that discussion was at Strasburg October 2019. I don't quite remember if it was the crew, or if it was the people around me.  Wherever it was, it was comparable to a closed driving course where it could run without issues of speed limits or insurance reasons(I think that is what someone had said, maybe Rich or Hot Water as to why she is being towed or some other reason).

@Rich Melvin posted:

What is the fascination involved in watching a diesel tow a steam engine around? I don’t get it.  

For myself, it is not "fascination" to see it being moved to a location where it can perform.  And I have no interest in following its journey as it's recorded on videos along the route.

But it is interesting to me to see the folks who show up; the settings in which it travels; and the enthusiasm for the locomotive and the promise it holds for so many folks.

Face it Rich--you're jaded.

In golf, there are two courses in the US that I'd drop everything to go play but they don't include many famous ones that I've been privileged to play multiple times.  But that doesn't prevent me from understanding why so many fellow golfers would move heaven and earth to play those not on my small list.  I'm jaded, too.

Last edited by Pingman

I believe that people are drawn to trains and the hobby for many reasons.  Some like O-Scale and some like O-Gauge, some go for realism and some for the historical post-war.  We all have our fascinations.  The fact that 611 is out on an NS main steaming along is enough to draw in onlookers.  I was out there this evening and, though it lasted only a few moments, my daughter and I saw 611 roll by.  Maybe we will get to see 611 in Strasburg this Summer, but we DID see 611 tonight.  It was a good time for my daughter and I.

@Rich Melvin posted:

I guess for someone that has been around steam engines a lot probably not much fascination but for those who rarely even get to see one in a static display, seeing one even pulled if pulled by a diesel is a little more fascinating.  For some it may be the only time they get to see a steam engine on a mainline even if not under it's own power.  Would most prefer to see it under it's own power, I'm sure they would, but some folks have to take what they can get.

Is being a curmudgeon a requirement to operate a steam engine?  Just asking for a friend.

Last edited by MartyE

"That being said, I'm not waiting with popcorn to see it live, but I will watch the videos that people post."

If I knew when 611 was coming thru, I could put the popcorn in the microwave, push the start button, head to the track, watch her pass by in Columbia, and if I don't stand around gawking or talking, be back home before the popcorn is ready

Charlie

They used to come thru town twice a day as well as other N and W steam. We thought nothing of it.

But my Texas cousins would go down to the end of my street and watch the steam for hours. All they had were diesels.

I understand the attraction of seeing the 611 or any other steam engine, towed or otherwise and I would love to take our grandchildren to see it come by.

Why make what were to me disparaging comments. It is not needed and fits into the other thread about why are people so negative on the Forum. It does not help OGR.

Have you ever seen the 611 up close and personal Rich?

Yes, many times. I produced two videos on the 611 back in the day,  Queen of the Fleet and Bridges to Buffalo.

I have visited the shop in Spencer, ridden in her cab, and double-headed the 765 with her.

@Prr7688 posted:

Rich, you're forgetting that most of us haven't had the chance to be behind the throttle of a real locomotive! Given your experiences, it might not be exciting to you - but it is to some people out there.

Yes, you're right. I should be more  understanding.

...maybe Rich or Hot Water as to why she is being towed or some other reason).

She's being towed because of PTC - Positive Train Control. No main line steam locomotive is yet equipped with PTC. It is expensive ($200,000+) and the performance standards and the approved list of equipment is not yet finalized. The lead unit must be equipped with PTC in order to run on a PTC-equipped line, hence the diesel.

Last edited by Rich Melvin

I'm just interested in where it is in the journey to Strasburg because I am going down on Sunday, I'm hoping that those trips are still going to be run this weekend!

John, if it is there and you get in the cab, be sure to see the dent my head put on the engineer's side when I was coming out. It's a little low and be sure to duck a bit if need be. Don't need another dent from someone else's head in 611.

I'm just interested in where it is in the journey to Strasburg because I am going down on Sunday, I'm hoping that those trips are still going to be run this weekend!

As of 10:10 AM this morning, 611 just made it on to the NS B-line in Manassas and was heading north.  No issues  that I heard of as I was there and watched her enter the wye and head north.

Not that you need a photo, but here is 611 being readied for today’s leg of the move around 9:00 AM.  I am assuming they will make it to Enola today.  We will see.

53AD0574-5635-4303-A54A-891F3A205488

The photo is mine.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 53AD0574-5635-4303-A54A-891F3A205488
@Rich Melvin posted:

Allow me to explain part of the fascination.  Until two years ago, a J had never been north of Shenandoah on the Valley Line. And there is only one recorded movement that far north. And no live steam locomotives had been north of Front Royal since 1973. And the last time anything under steam had been on the Pennsy north of Hagerstown might have been the Pennsy itself. So diesel or no, this is a big deal.

I think the only diesel that runs at Strasburg is for the freight side of things. There is also of course the "Doodlebug" the L.O. & S. Self-Propelled Motor Car, and that usually runs on select days in winter when they are not running steam. I did manage to catch it during October's York week I think in 2018(not ride it, but see it before heading into the Toy Train Museum).

@RSJB18 posted:

Last time 611 was at SRR, it was met by 475 and double-headed from Paradise back to Strasburg. Once the excursion runs start she's on her own.

Yeah, I wanted to get both of them in 2019, but for October(York week) they didn't have that option. However they did have 475 running and passing 611 when I was there. That was the day of the famous knucklehead crossing where he shouldn't be crossing. I have a video of that somewhere on this phone. You could hear the staff yelling at the guy not to cross while he is looking around to see who that person is. He thought for sure it wasn't him as 475 started coming closer. Yeah there was a good amount of space, but the staff had everything marked not to cross(in most open areas) and had only a few crossing spots which they would bar when trains were coming through.

I think I had told a bunch of my friends after getting back from York, that I really didn't want to have any opportunities to see human pancakes(or whatever flat stuff one could designate) on my vacation. People don't pay attention when they should.

@NHVRYGray posted:

Anyone know of any feed from the Strasburg/Amtk interchange in Paradise in order to watch the arrival movement.

Strasburg has two "live cameras", one at Paradise and one at their main station/headquarters. Simply go to the Strasburg Rail Road web site, and find the live WebCams (look under the "Dig Deeper" tab)  views.

Last edited by Hot Water

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.