Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Al,

To be honest, if the smudged paint bothers you. You can buy brand new rubber stamps to redo it. As for the, "What's It Worth?" question. Only a dummy would bite on that worm. To expect a forum member to answer......Well?

If you want the satisfaction and the type written bragging rights. Find yourself a professional appraiser in your area. 

Originally Posted by Happy Pappy:

Please allow me to vent some frustration. Other than date of manufacture. The 700E and all variations of it are not and never will be, "Tinplate". Since when are diecast and tin the same?

Your point is well taken.  I think the term "tinplate" is now used to denote a period, rather than an actual material?  I see it used commonly to describe more "toy-like" vintage trains.   In the end, there're all just toy trains.

Al, all depends on condition and what comes with it. Based om your comments it would seem to be in excellent condition. If the smudged numbers on one side were from the factory then I would not try to "fix it". Does it have the original boxes? Does it have the optional third rail pick ups? Does it have the walnut base with the correct nameplate and ever so hard to find single piece of T rail track. All these things would influence overall price.

Based on the engine and tender alone without the additional items I have described and based on what they are going for at York and on the Bay I would think in the $5,000 to $6,000 range. Could you post pictures so as to see actual condition?

Hopes this helps, however it is hard to tell based on little actual information.

If the base is with it with the correct track and nameplate that could add another $1,000 to $1,200.

Al Galli,

Yes, you do have what appears to be a 700EWX. That's what all my books say. Mr. Dennis Waldron knows your type of engine piece by piece. He's rescued me many times with parts. Goodness knows I replaced many of those beautiful drivers. Al, from my standpoint just knowing how hard to find those wheels are, Please, Please don't run it.

My rant earlier was just that. The "true"  tinplate train era ended early on. I'm just a die hard for tinplate. If my comment offended you, I apologize.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.