Skip to main content

I purchased a 736 engine with tender at a train show last week and it runs extremely hot after about 5 minutes.  I have taken the motor apart and cleaned the brushes, brush holders and commutator face and slots.  I have also removed and re-lubricated the thrust bearings.  The e-unit drum was dirty so I cleaned it with alcohol and a cotton swab.

I kept the shell off and tested it on stationary blocks at 11 volts and it still runs hot after about 5 minutes.  I have a volt meter that also has the ability to test temperature so I touched the lead to the side of the motor and it read 125 degrees.  I also touched the lead to the field windings that are at the top of the motor and that reading was 115 degrees.  I also noticed the e-unit was very hot to the touch as well.  I didn’t see any loose wires touching so have no idea why it is so hot.  I have other 736’s but they don’t run anywhere near as hot.

Does anyone have an idea what may be causing the motor to run so hot?  I’m open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

As long as the mechanical transmission is loose and free-wheeling, it sounds like the lacquer on the motor windings is breaking down. This causes shorts in the wire and more electricity flows on a shorter wire path, causing heat.   There have been many threads about this issue, and how to correct it.  Usually it means a rewind of the motor armature.  There are probably guys on the forums that offer this service.

You might want to review this page:

http://themotordoctor.com/armature_rewinding.htm

Although you didn't say anything about it, I assume you lubed the driven gear, checked to make sure the armature had a bit of end play inside the motor housing, and that the mechanism is not dragging or binding. If you have a friend that has an MTH Z4000 transformer, try your loco on his layout, and see what amperage draw you are getting. At 12 volts it shouldn't draw more than 3 to 3.5 amps, less if the smoke unit would be unhooked. Like the motor doctor page shows, the windings might be losing the insulation on the wire wound around the armature.

There's other things that could be the issue. First get the wheels in the air and run the engine with a separate ground wire to the motor to see if the chassis has a ground issue. If that doesn't help, take the motor out and run it separately. Keep the temporary ground wire connected to the motor frame for this. If it doesn't over heat the problem is else where. If it still gets hot then disconnect it from the eunit and run it straight off a transformer. You will need a couple more jumper wires for this. If the motor still gets hot then at least you are sure its the motor. One example of where there could be a problem - If the side of the eunit drum is touching the side wall of the eunit you can have this sort of motor problem. On Eunit drums that were poorly made or became over heated themselves the plastic can let the metal end of the drum move off to the side making the drum wider and causing an almost imperceptable short against the inner surface of the eunit side wall.  

I'd like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.  I took the motor apart again and rebuilt it using anothter winding and it seams to run much better, it still getss worm but nothing like before, so far it looks like it may have been the laquer on the windings. Next I plan on replacing the e-unit drum and rollers as suggested.

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.