Skip to main content

I have a shelf layout that will be used to run only LionChief engines. I want to power the track directly  with an 80 Watt transformer (6-14003). I see no need in using the adjustable voltage handle unit/ nor do I want to use it. If I remove the barrel plug from the output of the transformer, should I be concerned with what wire goes to the center and outside rails? Presently, (I guessed ) I am using the wire with a white strip as the outside rail. I am have no problem with the engine responding to all commands. Should I use a multi-meter and determine which wire is the outside of the barrel plug and what is the inside? Since LionChief can work in either DC/AC environment is polarity an issue in this case?

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

While both orientations exist, the center of a barrel plug is usually the positive on DC.

With ac, it won't matter as the engine has full wave rectification that turns the AC to DC, and the correct orientation is hard wired on the DC side.

I think by skipping the controller you are also possibly skipping the circuit breaker. Adding a breaker or fuse would be very wise if this is the case.  (I'm not sure if the breaker is case or brick mounted... but I think it's in the controller's case.)

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.