Skip to main content

This arrived today; some of you probably saw the eBay listing:

Upon removing the lid, a wonderful, old musty smell wafted up from the box; if Ray Bradbury had been a model railroader, he would have written something along the lines of "that odor is what TIME smells like". 

The wooded deck was broken (who knows how long ago?) so the owner used this cheese box top:

I love it! Not only did they use whatever was on hand, but cheese came in a wooden box! I will, of course, be changing that out, but will definitely keep that sign.

The couplers are really nice; very similar to the ones on my Varney Ten Wheeler. 

Anyway, another (I think) neat old item for my collection. 

Mark in Oregon

Attachments

Images (3)
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The cast aluminum kit era of the mid-late 1930's produced a wide variety of freight and passenger car kits. They could be a challenge to assemble, using screws, pins and glue. With todays modern epoxies and ACC's it become easier to build (or rebuild) one of them.  These cast aluminum freight cars I built are from kits first issued before I was born in 1938.  I have four more to re-build or finish:   A four bay, a three bay and a two bay offset-side hopper and an eight wheel depressed center flat car. They were originally made by Mi Loco, American Scale Models, Scale Craft and Megow.   S. Islander

127163XBC188b187 S

Attachments

Images (4)
  • 163XBC
  • 188b
  • 187 S
@S. Islander posted:

The cast aluminum kit era of the mid-late 1930's produced a wide variety of freight and passenger car kits. They could be a challenge to assemble, using screws, pins and glue. With todays modern epoxies and ACC's it become easier to build (or rebuild) one of them.  These cast aluminum freight cars I built are from kits first issued before I was born in 1938.  I have four more to re-build or finish:   A four bay, a three bay and a two bay offset-side hopper and an eight wheel depressed center flat car. They were originally made by Mi Loco, American Scale Models, Scale Craft and Megow.   S. Islander

187 S

That depressed-center flat was later a Walthers product; even to the ERIE decal set. My 1947 Walthers catalog shows it on page D-14 as "3815   50 ft. 105-ton Depressed Center Flat Car   kit $6.50    Finished $12.00". I must like them, I have seven or eight of them! All Nation offered a similar car that was a bit shorter and had two-axle trucks and I have a couple of them, also. 

Indeed so. Yet Walthers was not the original producer of that casting. They were bought as old stock, unfinished castings.  Walthers did machine work on the castings to make them kit ready.  No one was making cast aluminum O scale freight car kits after WW II. Yet these 1930's molds were used by some to make castings in zamak, white metal, lead and pewter instead. The lettering I used was not from a Walters decal set, but from other decal alphabets, numbers and scraps on hand.  I let nothing go to waste. This is the All Nation depressed center flat I am working on. I milled the underside of the ends for Kadee couplers and ground off the end sills where poling pockets were to be placed, to update it. I'm still unsure about the bottom edge flange I added.  The trucks are Walthers Dahlmans, the only ones I could find with heavy duty four-spring detail. 

S. Islander

DCF3   

Attachments

Images (1)
  • DCF3

Very nice, guys.

These pre-war/immediate post-war scale models are simply fascinating; there's so much I don't know, and what a better way to learn than with hands-on experience...and seeing your stuff, of course. 

Anyone else?...feel free to show whatever you may have.

Mark in Oregon

PS: Walthers often used something called "Tenite" for their wheels: is it kind of like Bakelite?

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.