Skip to main content

Nah....I actually like how grumpy Hot Water is.  I find it oddly refreshing in a world too d*mn politically correct.  He unabashedly speaks his mind and doesn't mince words.  I applaud that, frankly.

And grumpy or not, Hot Water is a tremendous source of information and an extremely knowledgeable railroader....real and model.  He's also had a career many of us are envious of.....and he did so covering some of the best scenery in the Country, IMHO.

Berkshire President posted:

While one man's coffee is another man's tea, I (personally) don't think it gets any better than Big Steam out West.....like this.

I  think so, too. I'm here in the east, with some heavy mountain coal drags and such, but .... seeing 844 blasting the big, western terrain is cool.

Matt01 posted:

Looking forward to what's coming next from the UP Steam Shop.

Me, too.  Already spoke with the wife about bringing our now-grown sons out to Wyoming to see 4014  run!  Thanks, UP steam shop.

And, thanks to everyone for posting about 844 here.

Jim

Dominic Mazoch posted:

The pic looks like something for a clothing line.  Great if there was permission form a UP official.

Permission Granted

At every stop that the U P 844 makes, U P officials invite the press, and the public onto Union Pacific Property to see the 844 up close.  They have tour guides that can be seen in this photo, (bright green safety vests), telling the public all about the 844 and making sure the public stays safe.

UP 844 in Gooding Magic Valley

At some stops, the Union Pacific sets up a temporary walk way up to the cab, so the visitors can enter the cab on one side and exit on the other side. This gives the visitors into the cab, a chance for some great photos.

Gary: Railfan      Source

Attachments

Images (1)
  • UP 844 in Gooding Magic Valley
Last edited by trainroomgary
Hot Water posted:

Photo by: Linsey MaAfee - Source Twitter  •  Doing professional photography.

B U P 844

1) No safety shoes/boots.

2) No personal protective equipment, i.e. gloves.

3)  No high visibility vest/jacket.

4) She is holding the wrong handrail.

5) If those are safety glasses, there are no side shields.

6) Wonder what she's looking at, as she sure isn't looking where she's going.

I am on a general photography forum and I saw a shot that is somewhat similar, taken in Europe. Imagine this shot by the model wearing high heels and nothing else.

Anyway, some train fan on the forum ripped the photo for all kinds of stuff like this, train-related. Among many things, he pointed out rust on the wheels and rods of the steam locomotive in the background along with things like above. Someone replied very simply, “I have to ask, did you notice the model AT ALL?”

The first guy never responded. I wonder if he noticed, as well!

trainroomgary posted:

From the FBI Photographic Division.

Steve Lee UP Steamshop FBI Photographic

Gary

Sorry, but both the FBI and you are STILL incorrect!!!!!  That is DEFINITELY NOT Steven A. Lee. However the vehicle was indeed assigned to the manager of the UP Steam Crew, at that time. Besides, I've been good friends with Steve Lee for more than 30 years, and can guarantee that that is NOT him in that photo.

Last edited by Hot Water

If its not Steve, you can see the confusion. Looks a lot like Steve in the below photo ... just a few more pounds and such.

lee

Anywho ... really enjoying all the videos of 844 on the internet. The modern, high-def stuff that some people are getting .... contrasts from the older "vintage" films, which are also cool to watch.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • lee

We all know who this is...............

Frame 16:17 • Idaho on “Shake Down Run”  -  This is the only YouTuber, that pointed out Ed  Dickens.  This YouTuber and his wife narrates the entire video with historic U.P. 844 facts and present day information. Published  May 7th., 2017

Toy Man Television Ed Dickens

I feel this is one of the best YT videos on this run, because of the narrators knowledge on this subject. He says he is going to Cheyenne Steam Shop in two weeks and hopes to get a interview with Ed Dickens, Senior Manager of Heritage Operations.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ljv3EMAgmU&t=17s

Gary: A YouTuber, Rail-fanning on YT

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Toy Man Television Ed Dickens
Last edited by trainroomgary
Matt01 posted:

Fun to watch! Thanks ....

Anyone know who this gentleman is? ...

UP-Lee

I think that's Rod McClure.

He was a diesel engineer with UP, and I believe  ran some UP Steam with Steve Lee and Ed Dickens. Very involved with Western Pacific's historical society and museum. Passed away last year.

When Steve Lee was at his heaviest, and let his hair go gray, the two did somewhat look alike. Those red lenses.

Thanks for posting that new video, Kent .... very enjoyable.

I guess that was Ed Dickens' wife with him in 844's cab ... in Gary's video?

Last edited by CNJ Jim
trainroomgary posted:

We all know who this is...............

Frame 16:17 • Idaho on “Shake Down Run”  -  This is the only YouTuber, that pointed out Ed  Dickens.  This YouTuber and his wife narrates the entire video with historic U.P. 844 facts and present day information. Published  May 7th., 2017

Toy Man Television Ed Dickens

I feel this is one of the best YT videos on this run, because of the narrators knowledge on this subject. He says he is going to Cheyenne Steam Shop in two weeks and hopes to get a interview with Ed Dickens, Senior Manager of Heritage Operations.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ljv3EMAgmU&t=17s

Gary: A YouTuber, Rail-fanning on YT

I've subscribed to the ToyMan Television guy for a while now. If you look through his uploaded videos there are some decent layouts plus real train videos like this last one.

He did a great job on this one.

Hopefully I can get some time off and make it up to visit the UP steam shop and train show at Cheyenne Depot Days may 20-21.

https://www.cheyennedepotmuseum.org/calendar

EBT Jim posted:
Matt01 posted:

He was a diesel engineer with UP, and I believe  ran some UP Steam with Steve Lee and Ed Dickens. Very involved with Western Pacific's historical society and museum. Passed away last year.

When Steve Lee was at his heaviest, and let his hair go gray, the two did somewhat look alike. Those red lenses.

thank you, ebt jim

I may be having more questions for you. i'm putting faces to names i'm reading about. in addition to following the rebuild of 4014, i'm interested in the group that brought up 3985 back to life. thanks, again

and, yes, that is ed dickens' wife with him in the cab, on some of 844's journey

ed dickens and wife

Attachments

Images (1)
  • ed dickens and wife
Matt01 posted:
EBT Jim posted:
Matt01 posted:

thank you, ebt jim

I may be having more questions for you. i'm putting faces to names i'm reading about. in addition to following the rebuild of 4014, i'm interested in the group that brought up 3985 back to life. thanks, again

I'm no expert on any of this stuff, Matt. I just started reading up on the UP Steam Program when 844 was being worked on. And, will be following the major work on 4014.

However, Bob Krieger was part of the group that "brought 3985 back to life," right from the beginning. I never personally met the man, but ... he is a very helpful, informative, friendly, down-to-earth man ... a wealth of information.

He is online a bit, but he is an officer at the UP Historical Society. He's such a nice guy, and wants to be helpful, that you might consider a membership in UPHS.

Still .... I'd try to answer any questions you have.

Last edited by CNJ Jim

I've been friends with Bob Krieger for more than 35 years, plus I fired for Bob for about 17 years, prior to Steve Lee's retirement from the UP in December 2010. The restoration of 3985 was done by employees of the UP, out of Cheyenne, on their own time, beginning about 1978. Many of those employees are no longer alive, but Bob, being one of the "originals" is still available for assistance.

Edit:  Just a suggestion, you might want to begin a separate thread if you want to discuss UP 3985.

Last edited by Hot Water

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.