Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

(Had to repost after this relatively inactive account got auto-flagged, but it's been addressed and fixed).

Didn't have any conflicts this year with planned vacations,  so pulled the trigger on a first time York visit. It came together pretty fast with the information here and Clem's primer, so have plane, car,hotel, and meet registration secured. Now, just have to quietly wait,  but the anticipation is real!

@pdx1955 posted:

(Had to repost after this relatively inactive account got auto-flagged, but it's been addressed and fixed).

Didn't have any conflicts this year with planned vacations,  so pulled the trigger on a first time York visit. It came together pretty fast with the information here and Clem's primer, so have plane, car,hotel, and meet registration secured. Now, just have to quietly wait,  but the anticipation is real!

Congrats on making the trip.  You should be commended for being a member for 17 years without having attended York.  It's tiresome to hear people say that going to York is the only reason they're in TCA - as you demonstrate, membership has value beyond just York. 

Hope you enjoy York.

@David_NJ posted:

Daughter #2 gets married that weekend. Would she notice I wasn't there? YES, don't miss the wedding. Could I sneak away Thurs/Fri and be back in time for the rehearsal dinner Fri evening? Yes, definitely sneak away Thursday but not Friday! Spend 6 hours from 12 -6 at the fairgrounds and then go home and rest up for the wedding! No harm no foul. I guess I need to wait until the Oct 2024 show. No, don't wait you can do this! You are Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible! Should you choose to accept it!    Just kidding around.

@Mallard4468 posted:

Congrats on making the trip.  You should be commended for being a member for 17 years without having attended York.  It's tiresome to hear people say that going to York is the only reason they're in TCA - as you demonstrate, membership has value beyond just York.

Hope you enjoy York.

When you're on the west coast, only a member here and there will make it to York at any given time. So we really need to make the most of the local chapter and division meets which are small (10 for our chapter and 60 for the division would be good attendance). Plus I put a lot of time in as a chapter president along with a core group of members for our annual public open house to show off the clubhouse layouts. We actually got a couple people to join TCA last time. For me and others, York is a bonus. At least now, I don't need to take thousands and figuring on driving back with a full vehicle as purchasing needs to be a bit strategic. Of course, York will show me all the things that I didn't know I will need 😀 so must be prepared for that siren song...

@pdx1955 posted:

When you're on the west coast, only a member here and there will make it to York at any given time. So we really need to make the most of the local chapter and division meets which are small (10 for our chapter and 60 for the division would be good attendance). Plus I put a lot of time in as a chapter president along with a core group of members for our annual public open house to show off the clubhouse layouts. We actually got a couple people to join TCA last time. For me and others, York is a bonus. At least now, I don't need to take thousands and figuring on driving back with a full vehicle as purchasing needs to be a bit strategic. Of course, York will show me all the things that I didn't know I will need 😀 so must be prepared for that siren song...

I've noticed, with envy, the level of local activity of the western folks.  Local TCA in my area (central Indiana) died years ago.

I doubt that you'll find much of interest at York, but try to enjoy yourself anyway. 

I highly recommend attending as many meetings and activities as you can - layouts (including SGMA), special interest meetings, the social media get together, dinners, etc.

Serious tip - read about the UPS fairgrounds shipping fiasco in October and plan accordingly.

@Traindiesel posted:

WARNING !!!!

ACCORDING TO THE YORK MEET NOTICE RECEIVED IN THE MAIL (On page 14), THE SAME UPS STORE THAT BOTCHED SHIPMENTS FROM MEMBERS THAT NEVER RECEIVED THEIR PURCHASES WILL ONCE AGAIN BE WORKING THE MEET IN THE SILVER HALL LOBBY!

I suggest using another source.

I note that the home base for this store is right across the street from the main post office and both are not very far from the fairgrounds or from most of the usable lodging. I'll bring a extra suitcase with bubble wrap and other materials and either wrap it up and take items back via air or via USPS. I also found a nearby office supply where I can buy larger boxes if I can't pass up on a bulky item like a boxed set.

Registered online this morning (2/8). Planning to be there Thursday and part of Friday (riding to and from with some friends this time). Can use a little break, so am taking advantage of the opportunity to "show the flag" for OGR and also have a bit of R&R.

Received badge 2/15. . . darn fast service by the Eastern Div. Registrar.

Last edited by Allan Miller
@David_NJ posted:

Daughter #2 gets married that weekend. Would she notice I wasn't there? Could I sneak away Thurs/Fri and be back in time for the rehearsal dinner Fri evening?  I guess I need to wait until the Oct 2024 show.

You sound like a good Dad. But they do have a lot of churches in York and there are quite a variety of reception halls at the fairgrounds. Maybe just change venues for the wedding? In ancient times since the father was paying for the wedding he would have a say in these things...

We're all set for the York Meet!!

Flight arrangements have been made.  Both hotels and the rental car have been secured and the badges are already in their holders!!

In addition to the York Meet festivities we got tickets for the Philadelphia Flyers vs. Washington Capitals and the Philadelphia Phillies vs. Chicago White Sox while we're in the area.  Adding in the visit with our daughter and grandson it'll be a full week!  And I'm sure there will be some other activities scheduled on the fly.

All the fun starts earlier with the San Diego Padres opening day and weekend ballgames and the Billy Joel concert the week before York.

And I can wait.  I'm not going to wish the time away, I'm going to soak in all the fun as it happens!

Also, Clem’s York Meet Primer for Spring 2024 is ready for viewing. It’s everything you want to know about the TCA York Meet and the surrounding area. Enjoy!

YORK MEET PRIMER SPRING 2024

Last edited by Traindiesel
@Prr7688 posted:

What is/was the cutoff date for registering online such that the badge will get mailed to you (i.e. you don't have to stand in line to pick up in person)?

Online registration deadline is the 12th.  I just filled mine out tonight.  Picking it up is not too bad to do vs. just registering in the line.  

Last edited by PatapscoValleyRR
@Prr7688 posted:

What is/was the cutoff date for registering online such that the badge will get mailed to you (i.e. you don't have to stand in line to pick up in person)?

Register online.  Picking up your badge is pretty quick vs. registering on site (just make sure you have your ID with you).  Plus, if you are coming Thursday, the registration desk opens at 9 a.m. -- 3 hours before the meet opens.  Supposedly the desk opens at 9am on Friday (same as meet opening), but there will probably be people there earlier (hall opens for table-holder setup at 8am).  The line for badge pickup moves pretty quickly, just make sure you are in the right line.

Andy

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.