I thought I would make a thread about my adventure in adding sound to a Lionel Monsters Inc. Bobbing Head car. I've added sounds to several cars before but have yet to document my journey with much detail. I was hoping this would help other people be less afraid to try/do similar fun things.
Before I go too far, I must first thank Gunrunnjohn and I must thank him 3 times. 1 time for creating the board, 1 time for creating excellent instructions, and 1 last time for fixing my board after I read his instructions and mixed them up in my head.
All of my projects start with a goal or goals. The goals for this project are simple:
1. try to use at least 4 of the 5 sound spots on the MP3 board.
2. use command control or mechanical/manual triggers to trigger the sounds instead of the remote that accompanies the board
3. everything fits in the one car and that car should look the same as it did out of the box from Lionel without close inspection or taking it apart
4. have fun.
After setting goals, I skipped the first. Using sounds won't matter if I can't get everything to fit in the car. That means I need to fit a speaker, a command board, and the new MP3 board into the car. I found a very small speaker on amazon, and am using a mini-commander ACC. Finding room for the these core components is the first challenge. If they fit, it will be "easy" to fit in wires and switches as needed to do the rest.
Step one is to gather the main parts and take apart the car. The bobbing head cars come apart very easy, the shell is just a snap fit. I just lay my components loosely about the car trying to get an idea where and how they will fit. In the picture below you can see I've settled on their locations and the next step will be mounting brackets/fixtures to attach the things to those places.