After discussions in several threads, I thought maybe we should have a separate thread on a TMCC component tester.  This is my entry, it's strictly an ad-hoc assortment of wiring and components I put together to allow me to test TMCC components. It had a default configuration of a simple non-cruise TMCC locomotive.

With the current configuration, I have the ability to test the following items.

  • R2LC/R4LC, all light and smoke outputs, serial data, chuff input, and motor drive outputs.
  • RailSounds Boards through RS 4.0 thru RS 5.5
  • RailSounds generic power supply boards
  • DCDR TMCC motor driver
  • DCDS Odyssey I motor driver
  • ERR Cruise Commander M
  • ERR RailSounds Commander (RS-Lite based boards)
  • TMCC Smoke regulator modules

There are two microswitches to allow me to trigger the chuff for either the R2LC or the RailSounds board.  There is a PGM/RUN switch at the right simply labeled P & R.  At the rear is a battery (actually my YLB) with a switch to enable/disable it.  This allows me to test the battery function of Railsounds boards.

The lights from left to right are.

  • Reverse Headlight
  • RailSounds 5x backup light
  • Bi-color LED connected to smoke output (used for directional markers in some models)
  • Smoke output
  • Headlight Polarity, bi-color LED to indicate polarity of headlight output
  • Front Headlight

The bi-color LED's indicate polarity of the signals associated with them, this can change with R2LC programming.

TMCC Test Board

It's not particularly pretty or neat, but it allows me to test a lot of stuff very easily. 

I'm sure there are more elegant and neatly constructed solutions, this was just something that was assembled in a minimum of time to accomplish the stated goals.  If I had infinite time, I'd probably build one of those.

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post

Alan, that's way beyond the time I have to devote to this discussion.   I'm willing to provide tips, but I don't have the time to do a full up documentation package.  If you look around, there is documentation for most of the TMCC motherboards, pick one and build the unit around that.

Alan Mancus posted:

Nice job John any chance you could put a list of parts with  Lionel  part numbers  and a  schematic diagram of the whole thing!

Thanks Alan I want too build one too! 

Start with mother board 691PCB1072 and then go to a typical engine and pick out boards and couplers, etc that GRJ mentioned above.

Chuck TCA LCCA ARRL BMWMOA

7EF3DDF8-2B37-4574-84A6-9EAD92ADEC9EB81EC5C2-1316-4A3E-A2B6-738355F3874F

I picked up this TMCC tester in a box of “stuff”. It has a nice logical layout and uses incandescent bulbs as indicators for smoke, couplers, and lights, and LEDs for motor direction. I thought it would be a good example  

I am not TMCC savvy enough to know what boards plug in to the 3 sets of pin headers or which generations of TMCC boards can be tested. 

Any thoughts?  I’m sure this is a no brainer to those of you that troubleshoot TMCC.

Bob

Attachments

Photos (2)

While the test board is nice, I built mine on an old chassis with DC motors.  Being able to run along a layout was a better test of the R2LC for me.  Also helps when testing non oem configurations that may degrade on a time of use.

Certainly as far as sound, motor and accessory testing the bench model is great. G

MTH Authorized Service Center

Authorized ERR Dealer

Lionel Independent Repair Tech

Virginia Train Collectors Member

I'm having a harder time seeing how my tester running down the tracks gives it all the utility I need for simply testing various components.  

FWIW, I do have a motor on my tester, and when I want to simulate a load, I just grab the worm gear and provide a load.  My test set is typically used for testing individual components, hence all the extra connectors that have been wired in over time as the requirements occur.

John... Thanks for starting this thread. I just got my parts order from Lionel and have what I need to put a test fixture together

I am now searching for pin outs on motherboards 691-MB00-10A and 691-PCB-1072. Both have screened legends on plugs, but a pinout would be nice. If someone knows the molex (or other) PN for the black two pin female connectors I would appreciate it. I have shells and pins on hand for the white connectors. Sure wish I had a index to the supplements.

The east Texas club web site that had an index is off line.

Richard

 

Here you go, the Supplement Index.

Supplement_Index_for_Lionel.pdf

The black connector is a Molex Micro-Fit 3mm connector:  Molex 0430250200.  The matching pins are on the bottom of the product page.

Attachments

gunrunnerjohn posted:

I'm having a harder time seeing how my tester running down the tracks gives it all the utility I need for simply testing various components.  

FWIW, I do have a motor on my tester, and when I want to simulate a load, I just grab the worm gear and provide a load.  My test set is typically used for testing individual components, hence all the extra connectors that have been wired in over time as the requirements occur.

Well to be honest you can just use the engine too.  As I stated, when the problematic engine has a communication issue with the R2LC is where being able to test on the layout is an added advantage.  Just think of your test set with wheels driven by the motor.  Doesn't mean you have to run it on layout.   G

MTH Authorized Service Center

Authorized ERR Dealer

Lionel Independent Repair Tech

Virginia Train Collectors Member

George, all it has to do is satisfy your requirements, as long as it does that, you're good.

Typically, if I'm having that issue you describe, (yes, it's happened to me), I stick the engine on my rollers and work on it there.

I'm not sure I want my test set on rollers, things get away from me fast enough now!

I found the Wiring Diagram for  691-PCB-1072 motherboard that I was looking for on supplement 45. If you download into Acrobat reader it's on page 86. There are no page numbers on sup 45 but it is almost at the bottom of the file. Still looking for MB 691-MB00-10A.

 

45 is a scanned file. My search does not work. Am I missing something? John your index  PDF file search works fine. Would really like to scan Lionel's index files. I admit that I have not tried the other files. May need to do that.

Richard

Blake Morris posted:

C7579845-61C1-4E39-9203-016341FF465DThis is the tester they use at Lionel for the RCMC boards.

I’ll probably make one as well except that I’ll make the cables long enough to attach to the board without actually having to remove the board from the locomotive.  Ill just power up the board with the locomotive sitting on the test track.  

Blake

gunrunnerjohn posted:

All of the supplements are scanned files, you can't search them.  That's why the index is so handy.

At one time I printed a PDF file then scanned my printed page using OCR software. There’s probably an easier way..... it ciphered about 90% correct, editing the other 10% in Microsoft Word was pretty easy

GeoPeg posted:
gunrunnerjohn posted:

All of the supplements are scanned files, you can't search them.  That's why the index is so handy.

At one time I printed a PDF file then scanned my printed page using OCR software. There’s probably an easier way..... it ciphered about 90% correct, editing the other 10% in Microsoft Word was pretty easy

If you look at the supplements, the text is scattered all through the illustrations, it would NOT be easy to scan them and edit them.  I've done the same with a number of documents, and "easy" is not how I describe it, and I'm an excellent typist!

Add Reply

Post
OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
330-757-3020

www.ogaugerr.com
×
×
×
×
×