After discussions in several threads, I thought maybe we should have a separate thread on a TMCC component tester. This is my entry, it's strictly an ad-hoc assortment of wiring and components I put together to allow me to test TMCC components. It had a default configuration of a simple non-cruise TMCC locomotive.
With the current configuration, I have the ability to test the following items.
- R2LC/R4LC, all light and smoke outputs, serial data, chuff input, and motor drive outputs.
- RailSounds Boards through RS 4.0 thru RS 5.5
- RailSounds generic power supply boards
- DCDR TMCC motor driver
- DCDS Odyssey I motor driver
- ERR Cruise Commander M
- ERR RailSounds Commander (RS-Lite based boards)
- TMCC Smoke regulator modules
There are two microswitches to allow me to trigger the chuff for either the R2LC or the RailSounds board. There is a PGM/RUN switch at the right simply labeled P & R. At the rear is a battery (actually my YLB) with a switch to enable/disable it. This allows me to test the battery function of Railsounds boards.
The lights from left to right are.
- Reverse Headlight
- RailSounds 5x backup light
- Bi-color LED connected to smoke output (used for directional markers in some models)
- Smoke output
- Headlight Polarity, bi-color LED to indicate polarity of headlight output
- Front Headlight
The bi-color LED's indicate polarity of the signals associated with them, this can change with R2LC programming.
It's not particularly pretty or neat, but it allows me to test a lot of stuff very easily.
I'm sure there are more elegant and neatly constructed solutions, this was just something that was assembled in a minimum of time to accomplish the stated goals. If I had infinite time, I'd probably build one of those.