As we all know, the very hardest part of starting a project is coming up with a name for it. When, the other evening, I came up with the idea of plopping an Atlas/Industrial Rail Brill shell onto a single-truck RailKing bump and go chassis (both of which were idly knocking about the workshop up to no good), the name "Ratlas" came tripping across the tongue...
Here we have the initial mockup.
Atlas bumpers fitted to the RailKing bumpers. These were bolted into place later.
The Railking reversing headlight assembly is a clever bit of gear which wound up not being used.
One of the better moves I made some years back was to buy a lot of mixed Erector Set brackets. You can use 'em for all kinds of things!
Erector set bracket plus old Marx screw in sockets = nice spot for an LED headlight.
Initial test fitting to ensure the thing is pointed in the general vicinity of the headlight lens. Lenses were fabricated by clipping the bodies off the factory LED headlights. That will learn 'em to cement the little indefinites in place!
Body brackets fabricated from Evergreen square tubing, clipped in half diagonally. Was originally going to go with Erector brackets, but I couldn't get them to work properly.
The wiring of the RailKing cars is rather interesting. One end feeds AC power to the overhead bulbs, while the other end feeds DC to the LED headlights, making for reversing headlights if you wire it properly. And I did! First time out of the box! That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
The completed item, ready for road testing...
The "Ratlas" graces the tracks of the Razorback Traction Co.!
Before - and - after with an unconverted IR Atlas car.
The Ratlas in action!
Hope you enjoyed this and hope it gives you ideas!