"Also long discussion on signaling. Sorry to report that there is not a whole lot available."
Curious about this statement. I know of a few options:
- http://www.digitrax.com/products/detection-signaling/ This is the route that one of our Friday night crew has went down, integrated it with his entire Digitrax system. His CTC panel drives the signal system, and is PC based (not using JMRI, uses something else). BTW, if you want to use Digitrax as a stand-alone system for signalling, you can do that. I love my NCE DCC system, and it works quite fine for what it does. I've considered an overlay of APBS on my railroad, and using Digitrax to operate it to keep it separate from my command bus. My round robin buddy is not using the Digitrax LED signals, he is using BLMA signals IIRC. BTW, I have dispatched his railroad under CTC, it is an absolute hoot.
- https://www.nmra.org/lcc This is LCC, which stands for Layout Command Control. Looked into this also, and there is one manufacturer at the moment that is standard compliant: http://rr-cirkits.com/ I am not sure if there are more suppliers of LCC compliant signal components.
- My buddy Warren, who you have met, had Signalogic do his system. Kevin Rudko is the owner. He is a railroad signal consultant in real life, has done quite a few model railroads. http://www.signalogicsystems.com/index.shtml Warren's system is ABPS. Kevin does an outstanding system. A young guy that should be around for a long long time too.
- And then there is Atlas. https://shop.atlasrr.com/b-int...s-signal-system.aspx Don't know a lot about their system, but they definitely can do dual track ABS, which is what I think you want. IIRC, in the era you are modeling, I think that is what they had in their dual track territory. Not sure when SF implemented CTC on their railroad, and where it was implemented first.
- Or, you can "roll your own" https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/32179 There is a link in this thread to Ron Paisley's web page also: http://www.circuitous.ca/CircuitIndex.html