Skip to main content

Good morning 

Thanks for letting me join!

Im new to o scale...

I have a question....I have a ton of 0-27 track. I just bought a new Williams 44 ton engine..and a railking z500 transformer 

Is there an adapter that will let me use the 027 track with the my controller? Or with the lockon that came with it work? It looks like it' for the realtrax...

Thanks!

Kevin

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Welcome to the forum Kevin.  Just about all of us got started with 027 at some point.  The lionel lock-on is definitely the easiest way to go.  There are other ways to skin this cat as well.  You can solder wires right to the under side of the rails, or you can crimp spade connectors on the track end of the wires and slightly spread the under side of the track and insert the spades into the fold at the bottom of the rail.  Easiest way with no tools is to just get the lock-on device.  Please note that you should apply the lock on to a straight section of track, you just don't get as good a connection on a curve.

Have fun with your Williams switcher!

Welcome. (and get ready to hear a lot of "go bigger on curve size" )

If you're handy, wire can be soldered to the bottom of the rails too. Some folks do it because it can hide the wires and looks better; some folks do it for the good connection, and some folks do it because they are just cheap (Sand the plating a bit first to improve soldering.)

Connect near the curves.  The loco will not slow as much while in them that way. Use extra wires to add a second power drop to the other end of an oval, and/ or other end of a curve, and improve it even more. Just jump the same rails together. Electricity travels easier over copper than steel. The "big guns" here often add a drop every 3 or 4 track joints (the joints are the real weak point.)  Also try moving the drops a bit. You will see a perfomance change just by moving the drop a few inches. The weak and strong areas will move too.

Use 12g -14g wire for best delivery of power. Undersized wire takes from performance as well. Adding weight to a 44t will improve the pulling ability too. It is kinda light from Lionel (It is a post war copy of a Lionel. Williams is good stuff though.) It is a cool loco, but not a huge puller (though Ive never actually ran a Williams version)

I use a lot of 0-27 track myself, and always have. But larger curves DO allow larger locos and do look better. Some new trains have trouble on twice the size, so be wary and take your time deciding on purchases. Ask a billion questions, plenty of advice is here to be considered. 

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.