Skip to main content

Hi,

Need to replace my old Lionel 027 curved track.

This 027 circle is  attached on elevated columns, & without tearing apart my train table, can I use a different gauge track that will make the same circle.

I have been purchasing Menard's track for my other layouts & find that these are stronger that my old Lionel Track.

Would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Thanks, Larry.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

By definition, an O27 track is a 27 inch circle (centerline of the track)

O scale track typical minimum is 0-31- a 31 inch circle on the centerline (middle rail)

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/...27-gauge-any-choices

To answer Jerry's question - which is not entirely clear - if he's looking for other brands of tubular 027 track, YES they are out there. MARX, K-Line and Williams by Bachmann would be the brands. The other possibility is Gargraves, which matches in height tubular 027, but Gargraves minimum curve in sectional track is 32 inches.

Again, you have a layout and specifically an elevated structure system set up for 27 Inches diameter curve. Most O scale track system are 31-32 inch bare minimum curve- even flex track.

Update, minor problem in "standards of measurement"-makes this even worse!!!

The diameter of O27 track is measured from the outside edge of the tie on both sides. When you measure center to center, the way other scales do, it’s actually about 25 inches in diameter.

It’s not hard to find someone who says their O27 track is a bit wider than 27 inches measured edge to edge. There was some variance over the years and between manufacturers.

Again, that implies that a 31 Inch diameter O-31 track probably won't even land on your existing elevated structure.

@My Lionel posted:
This 027 circle is  attached on elevated columns, & without tearing apart my train table, can I use a different gauge track that will make the same circle.
@My Lionel posted:

Hi,

Need to replace my old Lionel 027 curved track.

I have been purchasing Menard's track for my other layouts & find that these are stronger that my old Lionel Track.

Would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Thanks, Larry.

There are actually different versions of O27 track, over the years the track became thinner and thinner. If you want to stay with O27, then look for a track produced before the MPC era.

Actually, the primary difference between the track from an appearance standpoint is the height of O Gauge track compared to that of O-27. The O Gauge rails are taller than the O-27 rails causing the train to sit higher off of the layout surface. 

So you would want to replace all of your 027 track with new track.  The diameter should be the same as what you are getting at menards.

AFAIK 27" curves are only available in O27 profile track.   There's plenty of used O27 track available on the bay.  Can also probably find some at train show for $.50-1.00 a section.   Trying to bend gargraves to 27" might be difficult.
Is your reason for replacing due to rust/damage, or not sturdy enough, or?

Edit: Atlas makes O27 curves but the price is crazy.  Not sure if they measure from center or outer rail.

Last edited by dmestan

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.