Skip to main content

"HONGZ" stands for HO scale, N scale, G scale, and Z scale.

Post your non-O scale stuff here!

Was cruising the internet and came across this.

https://www.scribd.com/documen...l-Railroader-1940-06

Article titled HO Gauge Continues Rise caught my attention.  I had been under the assumption that the rise of HO was Post WW2.  Clearly it was well on its way to dominance in the Model Railroad portion of the Hobby earlier than that.  The survey does include 3 Rail but, these Polls were from the magazine's readers, so probably doesn't really capture the size of the "toy train market."  Also doesn't breakdown if 3rd rail was outside or center rail?  Of course even then there were Scale 3R Modelers and the "Traditional" People.

Anyhow thought it was interesting.

BTW other interesting things in the magazine, including prices in ads.   Adjusted for inflation the current prices we pay aren't that bad.

Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

@PRR8976 posted:

Jim,

Thanks for sharing that. These old magazines are so useful for many reasons, projects, polls, ads, etc. I prefer the actual paper magazine...sometimes you have the typical bonus of a musty basement smell I am used to from my youth! However, online is fine, too.

Tom

Glad you liked this.

Funny you mention paper copies.  "Gotta do some bragging":

At the "big" train show at "the Egg" in Albany, NY this past winter I picked up the first 7 Bound Volumes of Trains Magazine.  They cover Nov 1940 through Oct 1947.  They start with an index for the Volume and then 12 Issues including  front and rear covers.  Actually the first volume contains a bonus, Volume 1 Edition 0 which is titled "Special Preview Edition".

Great resource for me, that loves MainLine Steam!

Glad you liked it Jon.  Thanks for the info Tom.

BTW was reading through old Trains magazines previously mentioned.  In the March 1942 issue they had an article on Welded Rail.  It really surprised me, I didn't know that it was being employed that early.  Anyhow those old magazines have a lot of value if you model or just want to know more about what was going on back then.

Add Reply

OGR Publishing, Inc., 1310 Eastside Centre Ct, Suite 6, Mountain Home, AR 72653
800-980-OGRR (6477)
www.ogaugerr.com

Link copied to your clipboard.